If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screening for young children

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screening for young children

[Screening for young children]

Author: Mary Catania (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 06-25-02 11:40

My niece is expecting her first child in November. Since my 18-year-old son died of HCM, and I was recently diagnosed with it, she's concerned as to how soon her child should be screened. We know that HCM is on my father's side (his nephew and great-nephew both have it), but we're not sure about my mother's side. Her brother died around 1925 at 15 yrs. old of "rheumatic heart" (he had rheumatic fever 5 years before his death and had just recovered from pneumonia).

For children with a definite history, when should screening start? There are other very young great-nieces and -nephews in the family, and their parents are concerned.

Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Screening for young children]

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 06-25-02 11:45

Your niece should be screened, then the babys doctor should be told of the family history - if the baby has any murmur it should be fully followed up on with a cardiologist otherwise waiting until age 10 is normally fine.

The question of how often to screening of children is a hard, if they are under age 10 it is rare (not impossible) to come up with a diagnosis. Those of you who have children under 10 with HCM may think this statement is incorrect, however in the medical data, it is "rare" to see kids under 10 with HCM. Therefore, I think at this time we are better off looking a kids 10 and under in one group and 10 and older in the second group.

In the under 10 group - a base line screening at the time other family members are diagnosed OR when they are around 5 years old OR IF any murmur or symptom developes

10 and over- every 12-18 months until age 20-25

After age 25 I would encourage a cardiac check up every 5 years just in case there is a late onset.

THESE are NOT official guidelines, simply suggestions.Any questions feel free to call the HCMA.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X