If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

death of ball player tops the news

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death of ball player tops the news

[death of ball player tops the news]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 06-23-02 12:01

Many of us have seen the reports of the death of Baseball player, Darryl Kile, all over the national news. While at this time it is unclear as to his cause of death, it sounds like far too many stories I have heard in my work with the HCMA. His father died in his mid 40's of a "heart attack", and he is found in his bed at the age of 33, dead. To many in the general public find this story is simply to unreal, unusual, or scary to be true, however in the HCM world it is in fact a thought many of us live with on a daily basis.

Some of us have lived though the death of a loved one in a similar manner and this story makes us re-live the tragic events that tore our families to pieces and broke our hearts.

To others it is a frightening glimpse in to the “what might happen”. We have learned some very important lessons in the HCM world in the past 5 years, proper risk stratification is key to survival and knowledge truly is power.

As I said earlier the cause of death is yet to be determined, but whatever the causes turns out to be we all grieve for the loss of a young, “healthy”, and much loved baseball player. Our hearts and thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

973-983-7429

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: death of ball player tops the news]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-23-02 13:01

Dear Lisa, et al

I live in Chicago and this is where it happened, so I heard about it right away and the first thing I thought of was "He probably had HCM and an echo would have saved his life." As you said, we don't know the whole story yet, but it is an all too familiar story to us. I know that too many of us know how his family feels right now, too.

Do major sports players get echocardiograms as part of their checkups?

Sarah

Date: 06-23-02 14:05

Echos are not a regular part of any screening at this time...But I would bet they will be soon, at least on the college/pro level.

This death sounds to be an arrthymia of some sort, wether it is HCM, DCM, long QT, ARVD or something else it just sounds to familiar.

Time will tell and we should hear by Monday what the cause is, until then we wait, and wonder.

Lisa

Date: 06-24-02 00:42

Hi

FYI: I just read that Darryl died of coronary artery disease and that 2 arteries were almost 90% blocked.

Author: Mary (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 06-24-02 01:50

This topic reminds me of my brother's death from hcm. He was 37 and at the time none of us knew what was wrong with him except that he had "heart problems." And of course we all did the thing of blaming him for his heart disease, not knowing the real truth.

I wish we had responded better and been kinder to him while he was alive instead of acting as though it was his fault. I know now how scared he must have been, and how frustrated.

Mary

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 06-24-02 10:11

Mary,

You do bring up a wonderful point. Family support during any medical crisis is so important, yet sometimes we forget to give that extra support. Your not alone in how you handled your brothers illness prior to his death, yet I am sure he knows now how much you cared.

Thank you for sharing this thought with everyone.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Date: 06-24-02 14:04

"St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile likely died from a blockage of a coronary artery, Cook County's chief medical examiner said Sunday.

Dr. Edmund Donoghue said initial findings of an autopsy showed Kile had "80-to-90 percent narrowing of two of the three branches of the coronary artery." He said the blockage was the "likely cause of death."" - taken from MSN.com

While we still await the final report, which will take several weeks, it appears to not have been HCM, although we will have to wait to know for sure.

Lisa

Author: john jordan (---.public.svc.webtv.net)

Date: 06-24-02 17:13

i read that he did have 25% enlarged heart, what does that say about HCM? thanx, john

Author: Schrece Davillier (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 06-24-02 17:14

When I heard this on the news Saturday, the first thing I thought about was HCMA. Wondering if this is what caused his death. In the Sunday Los Angeles Times, in the sports section states "that Kile, 33, appeared to have died of natural causes." I also wonder about the echocarddiogram. I stronly believe this test is important for all athletes and if heart disease runs in your family history, you should be tested annually. I had an echocardiogram done, because my oldest sister died of HCMA (sudden death) 1year 3mos ago. When I took the test the technician said "to bad your sister did not have the opportunity to take this test it could have save her life" I often think of that statements. We who have lost love ones because of HCMA need to do everything it takes to help others. I live in Lake Balboa,CA. I would like to help in anyway I can. Fund raiser, walk -a- thon, etc.

My heart goes out to the Kile family, God Bless.

Love, Schrece Davillier

Date: 06-24-02 21:26

Dear Schrece,

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your sister, I know all to well that pain. Please call the office and we can talk about ways you can HELP raise awareness in you area.

John - - I have not heard anything myself re enlargement of any kind, please let me know where you heard it and I will follow up on it.

Best wishes

lisa

Author: BRL (---.sec.gov)

Date: 06-25-02 12:49

Lisa,

The Atlanta Constitution reported that the medical examiner, Dr. Cook, stated that Kile's heart was abnormally enlarged, weighing 552 grams, while about 450 grams would be normal. Both of my sister-in-law's hypertrophy was determined by heart weight so this could be a clue that Kile's heart was hypertrophied. I also recall that a cardiologist once told me that MI's actually will thin out the heart walls (similar to a dilated cardiomyopathy) so I would find it unusual that his heart weighed so much.

As you might recall when we spoke in Atlanta a few months ago, I am not a big fan of medical examiners as it appears they blew two autopsies in my wife's family by not microscopically examining heart muscle. Like Kile, one of my sister-in-law's death was ruled an MI ( the other a drowning), but we found out later through heart weight that both sisters also had hypertrophy.

Best wishes,

Barry Lakas

Date: 06-25-02 13:32

Thanks Barry -

That atricle had some information I had not yet seen -

This informations sure does sound interesting, time will tell what the truth turns out to be.

By the way it was nice seeing you in Atlanta - I may be back In August for the Tennis Event - I wil let you know soon what my plans are.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Date: 06-25-02 16:41

Hi

The articles I read in the Chicago Tribune also reported the heart weight, and they mentioned that there was no evidence of scarring or damaged tissue, which would normally be found in an MI ---another clue to perhaps HCM. But yes, they should look at the heart muscle microscopically --I hope they do. Hey, Lisa, can you call them and ask them to do that for us??? ; )

Sarah

Date: 06-25-02 17:06

You guys should know me well enough...maybe I already called????

Lisa

Author: Pete Baumgartner (---.213.58.173.rferl.org)

Date: 06-25-02 17:28

Hello all --

I'm new to the board but find it an excellent resource for information. On the subject of Kile's tragic death, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if either Boston Celtic Reggie Lewis or Loyola-Marymount College basketball star Hank Gathers had HCM or HOCM. Both died on the court of heart aiilments but I never heard what exactly it was that killed them.

I was diagnosed with HOCM last year after passing out while playing basketball and nearly again while playing softball. My gradient was well over 50 mm (measuring as high as 100 mm during exercise). I had an alcohol ablation by Dr. Seggewiss in Germany, who has done over 500 of them and is considered one of the leading experts on the procedure. I had an unusual conglomeration of veins and the one we tried it on the first time didn't do the trick (August of 2001). I had a second ablation done in February of this year and my gradient was virtually eliminated. I have been exercising lightly and have felt great.

Any info you have on the deaths of those two athletes would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Pete Baumgartner

Date: 06-25-02 18:26

Actually this is a tricky question - Hank Gathers was HCM and Reggie Lewis is still debated in the medical community, a few say HCM others say myocarditis, personally I am not sure.

Dr. Seggewiss is an excellent person to preform your Ablation, Are you in the states or Germany?

Welcome to the board, hope to see you again!

Lisa Salberg
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X