If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fatigued by emotions?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fatigued by emotions?

Christmas Eve(with the WHOLE family together) we did a lot of laughing and talking(loudly as there were several kids). I found that after about 2 hours, I was so physically exhausted I could barely think straight and I started getting arrhythmias and other symptoms.(I ended up leaving earlier than I had planned).
    At one point I had to go off by myself to settle down because I started to feel really uncomfortable-just from laughing. Anyone else notice anything like this?

Thanks
    Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Hi Abbygirl Pam,
    It’s very good to read you had a laugh-fest with the family, even if you developed symptoms as a result. Sometimes that is the best medicine of all.

Talking about symptoms, last week I was reciting the lyrics of an old song for a friend (can’t sing), and I became so SOB I had to stop – and that was just talking. It seems I don’t go anywhere, at any time, where I don’t have symptoms from one thing or another. It’s always a puzzle trying to figure out which malady is causing the problem. Even drives the doctor’s nuts.

I don’t know who sponsored the tests or why, but they found out that a good belly laugh does wonders for the person. I can’t figure out who would sponsor such research because laughing is free – can’t make a buck that way.

This reminds me of a dear story about a buck walking up to another buck and asking, “Hey, want to make some dough?” They walked along together until they met a doe, and asked her, “Hey! Want to make a couple of bucks?” (Works better verbally.)

Take care,
    Burt

Comment

I have had feelings like that before, some of the wierds things or emotions cause me to have arrithmias. When I get that tired, I gotta rest and be in a relaxing, quite place.
      Jen

Comment

Jen and Burt, thanks for your replies. I too get it while talking sometimes, and singing. Pretty much any emotional outburst will bring these feelings on and sometimes it happens for no reason.

Burt, Christmas is always a hoot at our house. Guarenteed someone will wet their pants(usually grandma.) Its hard not to laugh.
        It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

I believe this can be very common among those of us with HCM. Laughing does ssem to put added strain and pressure on the cardiac , respiratory system as well lots of talking seems to do it too . When I was obstructed it was a bit more intense, often feeling like my neck was very tight my head would explode with a very red face very sweaty, and I would get all junky in my chest and nasally congested and SOB. There was also a feeling like I would pass out. Many blipps on the arrythmia scale.

Now a year plus after myectomy, there are less blips from the heart, there is still SOB but much less, slight pre-syncope, that transitions more quickly in the positive direction. Less congestion, less tightness, a little more chest pain,( probably cause I get too deep into the laughing), still a very red face and the congestion tells me to back down . The sweating is still a very big problem. The sob comes and goes more quickly as well as the fluid is better managed.

Overall there does definitely appear to be a variation of things that happen during laughing and talking.

Try to know when to back away and take a break when you can from this great thing called fun.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X