If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Pitch voices

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Pitch voices

No i'm not crazy but i have found if i talk in a high pitch voice i get lightheaded or if i shout i will also get lightheaded has anyone else experienced this, i wanted to ask before i go to the doctor on the 18th, i just didn't want to sound like i had lost my mind you know

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Non-educated guess: if you talk (or scream ) in a higher pitch voice then you would normally do, you may put more pressure on your chest (your lungs have to blow harder). This may increase BP, heart rate, stress levels and so precipitate on your heart.
    \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

I've never heard of this, but Ad's answer sounds logical to me.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Shirley,

I don't think it's a silly question at all, and Ad's response does make sense. Although i'd like to think that i've never spoken in a high-pitched voice (watch it, people)... i've never ever been able to raise my voice very loud without becoming extremely uncomfortable. I simply cannot yell, and i've never been able to. I lose all my breath when i try.

Interesting topic.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Shirley

I'm like Jim. When I get into an argument, I am unable to breath properly. The same happens when I am tired and I talk alot.

Could this be heart related? I hope you get an answer.

Take care
          Esther

Comment

I also notice getting winded when I raise my voice. I think Ad's explanation makes sense.

Also, I just have to say...Jim, you crack me up!
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Yes, I that happens to me too. If I raise my voice, I get lightheaded.
              49 yrs. old
              Diagnosed at 31.
              Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
              First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
              Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
              Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
              My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
              2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Shirley,

You've started a very interesting discussion here...

It's always fun (if i may use that word) to take a step back, look at all of our little 'eccentricities', and wonder just how many of them may actually have been precipitated by HCM... even if undiagnosed at the time.

When I had my pre-operative tests done in Cleveland, I was told that I had excellent lung capacity (or perhaps volume is the better term)... well above average in fact. But when we got to the part where i had to blow it out real fast and empty my lungs (such as you might do while yelling), I got very lightheaded and performed well below average on the test. I have to think that this is associated with what you are talking about.

Heck, maybe it's for this same reason that I've never been a good swimmer... even as a young person. I can hold my breath and swim underwater quite well, but I was never able to master the breathing technique for regular swimming. I just couldn't get the air in and out fast enough (while trying to swim at the same time) without my heart starting to race and inevitably having to get back to shore pretty quick.

Now I'm not willing to blame everything from my youth on HCM. It's quite possible that I was just not built to be a swimmer (or a yeller for that matter). But on the other hand I've always been a pretty strong guy and I love the water. Except for the breathing difficulties which ultimately sends the ol' ticker into a panic state... there's really no reason for me not to be a good swimmer.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a tangent there didn't I? It's just fun to hypothesize about such things.

Take care,

Jim
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I too am the same way. When my son began hockey 8 yrs ago, I would cheer along with everyone else, now I can only sit and cheer in my head(not nearly as much fun). I get short of breath and lightheaded, and sometimes my heart feels jittery or something. I know all these symptoms are heart related(for me), it will be interesting though to hear what your Dr has to say. Good luck

Take care
                  Pam
                  It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Well we are on the subject of strange feelings, when I ride in a car on a bumpy road or on a horse (vibration)seems to bother my heart, like it makes me feel like an arrhythmia might start or extra heart beats, have any of you felt that way before? I have not exp. any problems with high pitch noises.
                    Jen

Comment

I think that this thread and the one about being "Fatigued by emotions" may be referring to the same thing. First of all, we can change our emotional state by how we speak and even by our bodily posture or expressions. It is amazing how this works. If we smile, we feel happy. If we cry, we feel sad. We think it is the opposite - that is, that we feel sad so we cry or we smile because we are happy - and this is true. But to some degree, at least, the first way is also true.

Secondly, all strong emotions result in increased bp, heart rate, etc. So, it seems to me that if we yell, which is associated with anger, or speak in a high pitched voice, which is associated with fear or anxiety or stress, we feel those emotions. Since strong emotions bring problems to many people with HCM by increasing the demands on their hearts, it seems logical to me that high pitched speaking or loud yelling or laughing very hard could all cause temporary stress on our hearts.

This is not scientific, just an hypothesis. But it seems to me that it is likely correct. What do others think?

Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda, I love your 'hypothesis'. It makes perfect sense to me. I can pick out times in my past(before diagnosed) where I new something was wrong but it seemed too simple to even bother mentioning to a Dr.

Jim, I am similar, or was, I haven't swam in several years now. I was a good underwater swimmer, but never have I been able to get the breathing technique down. I find the same happens when trying to sing or read out loud(to my kids), and sometimes even talking, thank goodness for my computer.

Jen, I have been going through the same for the past 2 yrs or so. Other than the horseback riding(me on a horse-that would be too funny). I can not even tolerate someone rubbing my back or riding down a bumpy road. It feels like my heart is jiggling around and skipping beats etc. I have never mentioned it to a Dr because I find it very hard to describe, and I can never make it sound quite as nerve racking and uncomfortable as it really is. How well do you tolerate exercise?

Pam
                        It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the replies

Yes jim i do the same thing when it comes to swimming i can swim like a fish under water but not a lick on the surface but i can float on my back, isn't that weird but if i flip over to my stomach i sink like a rock, i think it does have something to do with with our breathing too, i just didn't want to seem weird when i talk to my doctor here in a week and him not think i was some kind of airhead

Jen i do get that feeling in my chest from time to time but i've done that all my life and just thought it was normal, i have worn several 24 hr holters and it has never picked anything up, but i do think we notice things alot more now that we know what is wrong with us, like i said i have felt those all my life, or like my brother says it feels to him like a massager going off in his chest Everyone take care and i will talk to you all more here in Cyber Space

Shirley
                          Diagnosed 2003
                          Myectomy 2-23-2004
                          Husband: Ken
                          Son: John diagnosed 2004
                          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Shirley, singing hymns in church used to give me the same feeling too. I could never finish a whole song. Now, I can sing the whole hymn however the tone has not changed. I would have thought with a new heart would have come a beautiful voice. No such luck. But at least I can sing without sob. Good luck.
                            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I agree this goes along with the emotion thread. Same phenomena as with laughing and talking a lot. Added physical demand on the cardiovascular system. Midge brings up a good point. I was able to sing prior to Hcm and dignosis and treatment, can't carry a note anymore. Myectomy did not change that. I still get very scruffy when I talk a lot so singing is gone, unless your looking for the next Louie Armstrong in a female.

Pam
                              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X