If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM by another name

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM by another name

[HCM by another name]

Author: Pat (---.tellico.net)

Date: 06-20-02 23:37

Hi I am new to this board, but I have been reading to catch up. My question is Is Hypertensive Heart Disease (LVH) the same as HCM ? Thank you for clearing this up. I have Hypertensive Heart Disease and Emphysema with a 60% loss of lung function. ( I have not smoked for 32 yrs.)

Thanks and I pray you all feel better.....Pat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCM by another name]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-21-02 00:24

Pat

From emedicine.com:

Hypertensive Heart Disease: Uncontrolled and prolonged elevation of blood pressure (BP) can lead to a variety of changes in the myocardial structure, coronary vasculature, and conduction system of the heart. These changes can lead to development of left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), coronary artery disease, various conduction system diseases, and systolic and diastolic dysfunction of the myocardium, which clinically present as angina or myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmias (especially atrial fibrillation), and congestive heart failure (CHF). Hypertensive heart disease thus is a term generally applied to heart diseases, such as LVH, coronary artery disease, cardiac arrhythmias, and CHF, caused by direct or indirect effects of elevated BP. Although these diseases generally develop in response to a chronically elevated BP marked, acute elevation of BP also can lead to accentuate an underlying predisposition to any of the symptoms traditionally associated with chronic hypertension.

--- also from emedicine.com (but please read the discussion of HCM on this site)...

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a genetic disorder typically inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion with variable penetrance and variable expressivity. HCM has a complex set of symptoms and potentially devastating consequences for both patients and their families. The disorder has a variable presentation and carries a high incidence of sudden death (SARAH's note: this is not true anymore. Sudden Death is about 1.5-3% a year). In fact, HCM is the leading cause of sudden cardiac death in both preadolescent and adolescent children (this is, sadly, still true).

The hallmark of the disorder is myocardial hypertrophy that is inappropriate, often asymmetric, and occurs in the absence of an obvious inciting hypertrophy stimulus. Although any region of the left ventricle (LV) can be involved, hypertrophy frequently involves the interventricular septum, which results in an obstruction in the LV outflow tract.

Me again: HCM patients may eventually develop CHF and sometimes have atrial fibrillation, but most do not have high blood pressure.

Sarah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCM by another name]

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 06-21-02 09:43

HCM - a condition with many names

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy -HCM

Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy- HOCM

Idiopathic Hypertrophic subaortic stenosis - IHSS

Hypertrophic subaortic stenosis -HSS

Assymetric septal hypertrophy - AHS

and a few more but these are the most common

you may hear HCM by any of the above names - but it is all the same thing.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
X