If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ahh, a new year

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ahh, a new year

Well, it has been a tough year and it went out much like it went in. A trip to the hospital. Wish I knew how to handle all of this. Sometime's I think it is the stress that does me in. I had been doing quite well for almost a month. Then on Christmas eve I got a text message on my phone saying that my father was dying (great present eh). Well, it really rattled my cage but I did not take heed because my wonderful father had done that and used it to corner me again. So this time I said I wasn't buying it. Well, two nights after Christmas I got a message saying he died. I guess it was too much stress and my heart freaked out. I'm still trying to get over it physically.

So that was last year. Now it is a new year and I guess a new way for me to go. I'm back registered in school and it starts on Monday. I can't believe after this semester I only have six hours left which I will finish in the summer. I'm now applying to Universities. I have no clue where I wll go but I'm just filling out to places that are big in research. Hopefully it will be Boston College or University of Miami. I've got descent grades, hopefully that will help to get into a good place.

I'm also going to try and return to work and see what happens. There is no way I can live six months without income. So it is back to the grind stone.

I hope everyone has a great new year and try to be the best you can!

Mary S.

Mary,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. It sure has been a tough year for you.

I hope that you will do well with school, and that you will be able to work, and to have a better year.

Debbie

Comment

thanks Debbie,

Mary S.

Comment

You're welcome Mary,

Take care, and keep us posted, ok?

Comment

Mary,
          I am sorry to hear about your father. I hope you are feeling well. Good luck in school!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Oh Mary

Iam so sorry to hear about your father, and best of luck with school

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Mary, I'm thinking of you, Linda

Comment

Mary, I am sorry about your father. I hope things get better this year. Best of luck in school, and with your health.
                Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Dear Mary,

I am so sorry that the year has started off with so much difficulty again! I hope that you will not live with false guilt over not going home when you heard that your father might die. The story of the boy crying wolf too often does not place any responsibility for the boy's bad decision on the townspeople. Similarly, it was not your fault that your father had used his health as a weapon, which is how it sounds to me. Please do not turn the weapon on yourself now. Regardless of how your father behaved toward you, it is a loss and a shock for someone who has been such a major part of your life to die. We all understand that. So please feel free to cry on our shoulders.

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks to all for your support.

Rhoda I did beat myself up for a few days about it but I got a lot of support from friends. As a matter of fact my eighth grade teacher e-mailed me to let me know it was ok. He was the one that really discovered the problems in my family. He hepled me through many crisis over the years. Actually, he kept me from ending my life. So, getting that e-mail was a gift. I also went in for counciling and that helped a great deal.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!

I have an interview for Neurodiagnostics Assistant at the hospital. Happy DANCE!

Wish me luck on Tuesday!

Mary S.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your dad, and I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better now.

I wish you all the best with school.
                      49 yrs. old
                      Diagnosed at 31.
                      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Thank God for your wonderful eighth grade teacher!

Best wishes for a new and doable job!

Rhoda

Comment

Mary,

I am very sorry to hear of your dad's passing. May you find peace and comfort during this time of loss.

I wish you all the best on your upcoming journeys.

Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                          X