If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mucous and upcoming surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bettie Find out more about Bettie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucous and upcoming surgery

I've been having an extra build up of mucous in my throat and I don't cough very often but when I do I can feel and hear a barking like cough in my chest. Going out in the cold weather seems to set it off. My doctor gave me some amoxycillan and cough medicine. I had to quit taking the cough medicine because it had codeine in it and it made me nauseous and sleepy. My septal myectomy surgery is scheduled for Jan 27, 2005 and I'm wondering if this mucous build up will cause a problem. I hardly ever do cough anything up and if I do it is clear from my nose and mouth both. I've been running the vaporizer and I do seem to have have allergies which may be causing this. From the information that I received from the Cleveland Clinic it said that I was to tell them before I had surgery if I got a cold or flu, but I'm wondering about this other problem and wondered if any of you had a mucous problem before surgery.
    septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Bettie,

I'm not sure if the mucous problem specifically will impact your upcoming surgery, but you should probably give the folks in Cleveland a call next week. They'll want your lungs to be as clear as possible prior to surgery, to avoid any complications during your recovery. Perhaps they can make some recommendations to you and/or your doctor so that you can prepare yourself. You'll also get a thorough test of your lung capacity once you get to Cleveland to insure that you meet the requirements for open-heart surgery.

Just think... in less than a month you'll have had your myectomy already and be well on the road to feeling better!

Happy New Year,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Bettie,
      Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between what seems to be a "cold" cough and a bit of fluid build-up (heart failure). After my son's myectomy, we realized that what we thought was an allergy cough was really a bit of heart failure.

Talk to your doctor again and try to get both him and Cleveland in the loop to make sure you don't have a problem that will delay your surgery.

Good luck, please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Yes Betty this could be heart failure i also get this and it does pay to keep your doctor informed

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thank you for your kind replies. I plan to call Cleveland next week.
          septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X