If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Near syncope episode

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near syncope episode

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but yet again I had a nasty spell and would like some help trying to differentiate between the dangerous and the non-dangerous arrhythmias.

Usually when I bend over to tie my shoes, pick up toys etc, I get a funny ka-thump in my heart when I stand back up. The other day it happened as usual but for some reason as I stood up, my heart took off racing and I felt a gush of adrenaline, or blood (or something?)rushing through my upper chest and head. My heart was out of rhythm and I began to blackout. I then sat down and as I did, my heart went back into a normal rhythm and all my symptoms disappeared, accept the racing heart(which by this point had turned to panic). It took about 4-5 min, for my heart to slow to a comfortable rate.

Anyhow, thats the best description I can give, has anyone had this or something similar happen? I have worn the holter a gazillion times and nothing significant has been picked up. I have had this happen before but not as severe, oh and I do not have an ICD.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Pam,

I really don't have much help here, except to say that I have had very similar episodes. I tried to start them while I was on a monitor but had no luck. So, yes, I had similar, but no, I can't tell you what they are.

Rhoda

Comment

I am wondering if these episodes are more as a result of the mitral valve having a regugitation effect. I had these very frequently when I was obstructed as well and there was SAM and some mitral valve regurgetation. I am making this correlation because after my surgery my brother in law had to have a valve repair. They found that both chords that hold his valve in place had snapped. They were never able to fathom exactly what caused it other then the possibility of strain on the heart from lifting bending etc. What is interesting here is that they were amazed that he had not passed out and was only diagnosed after seeing his PCP for complaints of anxiety.

They told him that the symptoms would feel like a gushing or whooshing and and his heart pounding and feeling of passing out, or just passing out. That these could result from minimal activity or putting some strain on his heart. At that time he had a 40% regurgitation of blood due to the malfunctioning of the mitral valve. Sound like familiar symptoms? Those were what I had felt also and stopping the activity would straighten things out after a bit.

Personally I do believe that bending over puts a big strain on the heart in general and this is why they test our hearts by having us do various exercises. I always was told to squat and stand so they could listen to the variation of tone from my murmur/ and obstruction.

Hope this helps explain , but do run these things by your physicians.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Pam’s,
        It’s funny that you picked tying your shoes because I had that specific problem. (Most of my shoes now are slip-on.) I went so far as to talk to my then cardiologist about it, and here was his explanation.

When you bend over to tie your shoes, especially when sitting, you squeeze your abdomen, which then presses upward against your diaphragm. The squeezing is then transmitted to your heart and lungs. When you finish and sit up there is a sudden relaxation in the pressure, and if you stand up when finished that drop in pressure can put you out cold – or at least make you woozy or light headed.

Now-a-days, especially with the added water problems, I take bending over at the waist very seriously, and am very careful about the way I release the pressure after bending over - and absolutely will not jump out of my seat when I’m done. Between the sudden drop in pressure from squeezing, and the quick change in pressure from standing up I’d go over like a felled tree.
        Burt

Comment

Pam,

I get the same thing, nearly always upon standing back up after bending over. I have always just thought that it was part of HCM.

It isn't fun. I have tried to adjust my activities so I don't have to bend over much, but in my job, that is impossible. So I just have to stop, let the blackness pass, and then go on.

Debbie

Comment

Wow- it's always such a relief to me, reading that others suffer from similar symptoms! I avoid bending over, as much as possible, my family always "jumps" to pick up whatever I drop or need, to spare me from the symptoms. I thought this would improve after my Myectomy/Bypass/Stents, but it has only slightly diminished..
            I've become very creative, problem solving so as not to bend over.
            RONNIE

Comment

Hey guys,
              I found that if you really must reach something on the floor, you can diminish of avoid the dizzy after effects if you first take a wide stance, turn toward one foot, bend your knees and reach down keeping your trunk vertical.

I know it sounds silly, but it really works – and oddly enough most people don’t even notice the way you have accomplished the task.
              Burt

Comment

Thanks Burt,

I will give it a try.

Debbie

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X