If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bennett Find out more about bennett
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi

hello everyone does anyone have hard time to sleep i think its the beta blockers i take im up now and it is 3:52am in the morning i proberly wont get sleep till 5:00am does anyone else get the same thing
    im 20 years old with hcm and just been told i need a heart transplant

Re: hi

Bennett,

I always had trouble sleeping from the time I was at 8 or 9 years old. I look back now and realize my heart was racing and it made me feel hyperactive. Now that I am on beta blockers I have very little trouble sleeping. I often have to get up a number of times in the night because of fluid retention, but nearly always go right back to sleep now. So, I am not sure what is interrupting your sleep, but I can guess that it might be HCM related.

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Bennett,
      I used to go to sleep between 12 and 1 AM, sleep for about two hours then get up until five – or more usually six, then pop back in bed for another two hours.

When I go to bed I usually fall asleep in about three minutes (one song on the radio). Lately however I’m usually feeling kind of punk in the late afternoon and evening. I fall asleep in front of the afternoon TV, then go to bed around eleven, and sleep thru the night – except for the excursions to the john – water retention problems.

Don’t know what it is, I haven’t changed my Calcium Channel or Beta blockers recently, but my guess is that I’m under a lot more physical strain and get worn out quicker.

Some people complain of vivid dreams on the same meds, but I can’t remember any dreams at all recently. I used to dream in color, and I could act as director, arranging the dream to my own tastes. I even used to dream ‘previews of coming attractions’ – and get them the next night. I do miss that. It was great fun.

Why don’t you try it? When you wake up and are kind of still half asleep think of what you would like to dream tomorrow night. Remember it and the next night as you go into bed think about it, and presto, as often as not that is what you dream. Since it is your dream, you can direct it to just what you want it to be. I don’t know if your really part awake or not, but I really used to look forward to going to bed. I guess if you wake up during the night you can run the sequence again. Why not get a two for one if you can?
      Burt

Comment

Bennett.

I too have difficulty sleeping soundly. At times I have very vivid dreams (although not as controllable as those of Burt), sleep very lightly, and at times wake up and cannot get back to sleep for several hours. Five hours of uninterrupted sleep for me would be wonderful! I believe it is due to my beta-blockers. I wish you the best.

Peace,

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X