If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floaters in eye

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sueb My cardiomyopathy is caused by Fabry Disease. Find out more about sueb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floaters in eye

On one thread, someone mentioned floaters as being something they experienced when their heart was under stress, perhaps before blacking out. I assumed they were in the visual field and had nothing to do with heart function. However, I certainly saw them all over my visual field when I was cross country skiing in the snow (a few years ago). Was this just because they were visible on the white field or might it have been because I was really stressing my heart.

I can't believe now that I was cross country skiing in the condition I was in---or doing any of the other things I was doing to "get in shape." And I can't believe my regular (not HCM specialized) cardiologist didn't warn me of my risk. Oh, well, same old story. I'm now under good care---and, or but, not cross country skiing.

Sue

Re: Floaters in eye

I don't believe floaters have anything to do with heart function....many 'normal" people experience floaters...I think just about everyone does...I seem to see them more when it is a bright snowy day...
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Golly Folks,
      I find myself in the position to be on both sides of this issue. I too believe that floaters are a condition of the eye – and usually can be seen much more clearly against a plain background like a snowfield or a sheet of plain paper. So, that’s probably why the floaters became more noticeable to you.

On the other hand, your eyes are a part of your body, and what happens to one part often and/or usually affects other parts. If your body was under stress and your pressure was up, it very easily could have ‘stirred up’ the floaters. I mean, as an example, if your heart slows down too much you start to ‘brown out’ or get tunnel vision before passing out. Now that’s certainly an involvement with your eyes.

I don’t think the concepts of holistic medicine can be dismissed out of hand, - although I wouldn’t trim my toenails to cure a headache either. We are a complex organism that has evolved over eons, while medicine has grown tremendously in the past one hundred years. Things were done medically previous to that, but most of today’s medicine only goes back that far – and lots of it is considerably newer. There are still volumes to learn about the ‘great unknown’ so it is always best to tread softly and “keep your eyes open.”

I guess that’s an offshoot of Lisa’s “knowledge is power” tag line.
      Burt

Comment

Sue,

I know, when I was 25 years old, I used to go to the gym and workout. My muscles were toned, I was in great shape.
        Not anymore (sigh)

When I look back, I too cannot believe that I was able to do all that I did.
        Back then, I was very tired everyday, but I just thought that it was normal. I did not even have a cardiologist back then either, my mom told me I did not have this.

Good Lord, when I think of all the things I did back then, when I was younger, when I thought I did not have HCOM --
        I am lucky to still be alive.

But not taking the best care of myself has caught up with me. It seems like now I am paying for it.

Hugs -- Eileen
        49 yrs. old
        Diagnosed at 31.
        Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
        First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
        Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
        Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
        My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
        2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

I get floaters daily. Different kinds, probably depending on the colour of the background. For a few years now I have been getting them whenever I blow my nose, not when sneezing though. Odd.

I asked my GP and she said she had no idea what it was from. My sister gets them but her doctor told her it was from her high BP. I dont have high BP so I know it isn't that. When I am really bored, I use it as a source of entertainment by trying to focus in on one of the spots-its impossible-they keep moving.

Take care
          Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Pam---Re: Floaters in eye

And to think I only play Spider Solitaire when I'm bored! You gave me a great laugh!

Sue

Comment

i read somewhere that floaters are caused by the body producing to much of a certain protien.its usually nothing to worry about
              im 20 years old with hcm and just been told i need a heart transplant

Comment

I know that for myself, I've had floaters since I started having heart problems. I have them most the time as well as other visional problems. I'm starting to think there is a connection between one's ejection fraction and volume and vision. As you know, there are tiny vessels inside the eye and I wonder how they are affected by a higher or lower pressure.

Thanks,

Nigel G!
                I cannot fear death, because when dead, death does not exist. Love is the reason for being, it can never be taken away nor lost, so hold on I will, and in death I will not part, but rejoice for the time I’ve had with you.

Comment

Abbygirl Pam,
                  The reason it’s impossible to focus on one of them is simple. The floaters are inside your eye, so when you move your eye to focus on one of them little rascals, well the floater moves right along with your eye.

The only way I’ve been able to ‘study’ one of my floaters is to focus on one point in space, and without changing my focus, concentrate on the floater. If it is near enough to your point of vision to see it clearly, and you don’t start moving your eye around, you should be able to really get a good look at one of them.

By the way, I’ve taken to calling you Abbygirl Pam to differentiate between you and Pam Alexson. I hope you don’t mind.
                  Burt

Comment

Ahh Burt, you could call me anything, I don't mind. I have been called worse.
                    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

"Although they can be annoying, eye floaters are usually not a problem and don't require treatment. Some people learn to ignore them. Rarely, the density and location of floaters may affect central vision and even interfere with reading tasks. In such cases, a doctor may recommend surgical removal of the floating debris (vitrectomy). However, this surgery also carries risks and may not remove all floaters.

Most of the interior of your eye is filled with vitreous, a clear, jelly-like substance. Floaters are small bits of debris floating in the vitreous. They may look like spots, hair or string that dart into your field of vision. Floaters are most common in older adults due to age-related changes to the vitreous. They usually appear gradually over time and are harmless. However, see your ophthalmologist if you notice a sudden onset or increase in floaters, especially if associated with flashing lights or hazy vision. This could be a sign of a potentially serious eye disorder, such as a retinal tear or retinal detachment."

Found this on the Mayo Clinic website.....
                      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

floaters

Please note that certain kinds of visual disturbances can mean that your retina has detached and you are about to go blind.

Always check with an EYE doctor if you have new or unusual spots in your visual field.

take care,

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X