If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sudden death but survived it

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vondhe Find out more about vondhe
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden death but survived it

Hi all,

I am a "newbie" so pardon if I take some time learning how to use this all. I posted this story on the Sudden Death area, and got a reply suggestng I post it in the general area so others could respond, so here it is again:

I was 40, female, athletic, diagnosed with HCM at age 24. It was a hot summer day, July 17, 2002, and I keeled over in in v-fib in a busy area of Richland, WA. I was near an ambulance, a 911 call was made, I was defibrillated, and after a day in a coma came back to good physical and intellectual health. I had a second episode 2 years later, on my bike, Sept. 13, 2004, a cool fall day, and my ICD revived me immediately.

That was the posting suggested to be added here. My concern is, now this HCM is really REAL to me, and learning how to live with its limitations (I guess you can see I didn't like "being careful" so very well), is REALLY hard. No driving, no serious exercise......I feel like I should be 82 rather than 42.
    Heather V.

Re: Sudden death but survived it

Heather,

Your comment about feeling like 80 struck me . I had just told my parents this am( mom is 76 and dad is 87) that I have more in common with them then someone who is 51. My mother got it but then thought she could tell me how to drive because I was more like 80 and she thought I could use the help. I reminded her that my body works and feels like it is 80 but my mind is still quite young. We had a good laugh and she stopped co-piloting for me.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I'm 35 and feel 50. No fun. But I do what I can. I try not to wallow in self-pity but in chocolate

Comment

Hmmm.... Sarah. And just how do you think 50 is supposed to feel????

Rhoda

Comment

Boy oh boy,
          I’d love to feel fifty again. Just the thought of it gets me all excited.

My wife tells me that my body might be getting old, but my mind is still young. (Personally I think she means I act like a twelve year old.)

It pitiful though – I’m like an old dog with cars. – I still chase woman, - - - But I’ve forgotten why.
          Burt

Comment

33 feels like 63

Sarah said she felt 50. I thought I was the only one who did not feel his own age. With the multiple things wrong and the HCM I feel like one year old car on the last mile of its warranty...not old but run to death!

I have always been strictly warned about SDS, and have been scared out of most physical activity. I wonder if that has hurt me in the long run?
            Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X