If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Heard this Before?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Glen Beamish Find out more about Glen Beamish
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Heard this Before?

Subject: FW: Stroke and Heart Attack LIFESAVERS
    A friend sent this to me, I have heard the Heart Attack one before, but never knew if there was any truth to it??
    >This might be a lifesaver if we can remember the three questions!
    >Is It a Stroke? Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to
    identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The
    stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to
    recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
    >*Ask the individual to smile.
    >*Ask him or her to raise both arms.
    >*Ask the person to speak a simple sentence.
    >If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1
    immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February.
    >Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.
    >Heart Attack Self Help A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this
    e-mail sends it to 10 people, you can bet that at least one life
    will be saved. Read this ... it could save your life!!
    Let's say it's 6:15 p.m. and you're driving home (alone, of course)
    after an unusually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset
    and frustrated. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your
    chest that starts to radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw. You
    are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home.
    Unfortunately, you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far.
    You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.
    >HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements
    squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing
    pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many people as
    possible about this. It could save their lives!
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Re: Anyone Heard this Before?

Great Advice, I will definitely pass along. <y Cardio told me several years ago, if I felt I was in distress to do the "Beathe & Cough" So I can say, that would be correct advice
    RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X