If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pneumonia

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laoshur Find out more about Laoshur
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumonia

Hi, all,

I guess I am just reaching out for a little hand-holding and prayer. I seem to have come down with pneumonia this weekend. Before coming to China less than three years ago, I had had pneumonia once. But I have had it three times since getting here - once each winter about this same time. But this week is really a problem. I am scheduled to have 28 professors over for Thanksgiving dinner this Thursday. I had not planned to do the big thing and feed 150 this week as I did the past two years, because I felt that it probably was not a coincidence that I got pneumonia each year a few days to a week after Thanksgiving. Well, obviously, that was not the explanation, because here it is Thanksgiving week and I have it again. The past two times it lasted week upon week and got complicated by chf.

So, please pray that this time the antibiotics kill it right off and/or my immune system kicks in strongly and I get well very quickly.

Thanks!

Also a Thanksgiving note: I am thankful for you all and for this site and for Lisa who made it possible.

Rhoda

Re: Pneumonia

Rhoda, Our prayers are with you, take care and keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Take care of yourself. Hoping you feel much better soon.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rhoda ,

I am so sorry to hear that you are ill . I will certianly keep you in my thoughts and prayers. May this illness pass quickly and there be no added complications, may your health be restored quickly. Try not to overdo it and enjoy the holiday . I am sure those who value you in Bejing can jump in and take over for you. Just speak up and ask them please.

Take care of yourself and I will be thinking of you . Happy Thanksgiving.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Just a quick update.

I am very thankful that the pneumonia responded very quickly to the antibiotics this time. I am much better. I was able to cook two turkeys, 18 apple and pumpkin pies, and mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, salad, two kinds of stuffing, gravy, biscuits, and Italian soup for about 50 people all from scratch and still teach all my classes. We (Ed and I) hosted three dinners (two on Thursday and one on Saturday), took pies to three classes, made chocolate chip cookies in 8 classes, and took the turkey and mashed potato leftovers to a seminar we gave tonight. Considering that I started the week with pneumonia and ended it reasonably well, that is not bad at all.

I appreciated the suggestion that I call in favors and I am sure you are right, Pam, there are plenty of people here who would be more than glad to help me. But, the problem is that no one here knows how to use an oven. They have never baked or roasted. So, their ability to take over for me for Thanksgiving is extremely limited. I did get some help with peeling potatoes and cutting stuff and things like that, and my husband, Ed, worked right along side of me, but basically it all came down to me in the end.

The only down sides are that I still have some signs of infection, although no pneumonia, and that I have had a sharp increase in chf symptoms and fluid retention. I plan to spend most of the day tomorrow grading papers with my feet up, so I hope that helps.

Thanks to all of you who prayed and encouraged me.

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Rhoda,

I am very glad you were able to get through the holiday and accomplish all that you did. Boy just the 18 pies would have surely done me in . My mother age 76 and I did 5 and we thought surely we would not be able to finish . We did a lot of other things also but, 18 pies tops it. I know what scratch means, A LOT OF WORK. That is how we do everything also. Can't beat the flavors of all natural.

Please do rest and let that big heart of yours take a well deserved break and work on that fluid removal. We don't want that pneumonia causing a relapse for you.

Take Care.

Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Rhoda

Iam so glad you are doing much better, i'm sorry i haven't answered your post before now but i've been sick also with a nasty cold and trying to move my daughter back into the house

and then with the holiday it has been a mess around here you can sure tell mom can't do the things she use to do my daughter is still moving, well i hope everything is still going well you take care

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I was able to cook two turkeys, 18 apple and pumpkin pies, and mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, salad, two kinds of stuffing, gravy, biscuits, and Italian soup for about 50 people all from scratch and still teach all my classes.
                Wow, I could not do all that in one week! I have never baked 18 pies total in all the years of my life!

I'm glad your dinners were a success and I am so glad you are feeling better.

Hugs -- Eileen
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.
                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Rhoda, Dear Rhoda,
                  What? Are you crazy? With all your problems and in the aftermath of pneumonia you have nothing better to do then feed your whole community – and a bunch of students too? I just hope you get paid back for all your good deeds.

Seriously though, it sounds like you put on quite a spread. We usually go to my daughter’s home for Thanksgiving and she prepares for over twenty people. To allow herself to enjoy all the company, she orders the basics (Turkey, stuffing, candied yams, potatoes and side vegetables) from the supermarket fully prepared. She does the salad, trimmings and deserts herself, but she still has time to enjoy the meal. I wish you had the same opportunity. This year, for a change, we had Thanksgiving at a local restaurant, which was reasonable, extremely good and quite plentiful. We brought home what we couldn’t eat.

Take care of yourself my friend (and Ed too). I am looking forward to many years of communicating with you – and not via séances. Please use that lovely brain of yours for common sense purposes also.
                  Burt

Comment

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I hope your Thanksgiving in China was wonderful!
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Rhoda,

Hope you're feeling better.

Just wanted to send good wishes your way!

Debbie

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X