[metoprolol]

Author: Chris (---.ama.arn.net)

Date: 06-13-02 12:41

My cardiologist has me taking 50mg of metoprolol twicw a day for my hcm. I was wondering if this was a new drug or a old beta blocker. It works well for a couple weeks then i feel bad for a couple more weeks. Thanks for this site. Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: metoprolol]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-13-02 19:12

Dear Chris,

Metoprolol (Toprol) is a beta-blocker from the late 70s --propanolol (Inderal) is the oldest.

If it isn't working for you, please talk to your doctor. Timolol and nadolol are two beta-blockers approved in 81 and 79, respectively, and sotolol was approved in the 80s, but sotolol requires an in-patient stay to try it.

My experience is that even though they are all in the family, they do have differences and I have been on three so far with hating one, not liking one much and tolerating the last.

Beta-blockers are a great drug and it is worth your while to find one that works for you.

Sarah

Author: Chris (---.ama.arn.net)

Date: 06-14-02 01:19

thank you sarah

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-14-02 01:36

You are very, very welcome.

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 06-14-02 11:11

Chris,

Are you feeling well on the Toprol? It is rather common today to use Toprol in HCM and I know of many who find it helpful, as Sarah said there are other beta blockers and each of us respond slightly differently to the drugs -

Best Wishes,

Lisa Salberg

HCMA