If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about Concentric

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Eileen2345 Find out more about Eileen2345
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Concentric

Hi everyone!

I have a question, what exactly does concentric mean?

I did a Google search and looked through 10 pages and I could not really understand much of what they were saying. I think it means that the ventricle walls have uniform thickness. (?) Is that all? I wonder if it is a sign of the progression of the disease.

I know I have epiosdes of A-fib too. But I don't know if that is very serious or not.

I don't want to dwell too much on this. But I would like to know what is going on so that I don't drive myself crazy.

I am also thinking about getting a second echo done and a second opinion, just to make sure.

Thank you for any information and for taking the time to reply.

Eileeen
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Re: Questions about Concentric

Here is the definition of concentric from www.dictionary.com:

con·cen·tric (kn-sntrk)
    adj.

Having a common center or center point, as of circles.

The short answer is that your heart is thick evenly from a center point. Hope this helps.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thank you Reenie.

You know, I read quite a bit about it, and I think I understand some of it.

Sometimes it is hard to hear the bad news, but then the wondering about it is difficult too.

Thank you again

Hugs -- Eileen
      49 yrs. old
      Diagnosed at 31.
      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.

Comment

Hi Eileen,

If you have not already seen this info , there is also some good visual and description showing the 3 types: concentric, asymetric and apical hypertrophy.

http://www.cardiomyopathy.org/docs/h...iomyopathy.pdf

Good luck,

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thank you Pam. That was very informative. I read it and learned a lot from it.

Here is what concerned me a bit......I read this online about Concentric and Eccentric Hypertrophy:

eccentric hypertrophy: thickening of the wall of the heart or other cavity, with dilation.
          concentric hypertrophy: thickening of the walls of the heart or any cavity with apparent diminution of the capacity of the cavity.
          I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about it as well. Also I was wondering if A-fib is something that is common in HCM or HOCM. Or if A-fib is maybe something to be aware of.

Thanks again Pam and to anyone else who is reading

Hugs -- Eileen

P.S. Pam I hope you are feeling better
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.

Comment

The reduction of the cavity size isn't too uncommon because the thickened muscle takes up more space than a regular-sized muscle would. Afib isn't uncommon in HCM either. There can be all kinds of electrical issues on an HCM heart because the jumbled up cell structure can make the electical conduction pathways a bit jumbled too. My version of how it works isn't very technical, but I hope you know what I mean.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks Reenie

Yes, I understand. Thank you.

I read on a medical wbsite that A-fib is an indicator that the HCM is progressing. That is incorrect. There is alot of misinformation out there. Thank you for setting that straight, I feel better.

Hugs -- Eileen
              49 yrs. old
              Diagnosed at 31.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
              X