If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

low heart rate

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Rene' Koenig Find out more about Rene' Koenig
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low heart rate

What causes a drop in heart rate?

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well at all. As soon as I got out of bed my heart was doing wierd things again...beating really irregularly, and I felt lightheaded. I was feeling so icky I vomitted (which may or may not have anything to do with this).

I finally went in to work at 11:00. Just walking from my car into the building I was lightheaded and my heart rate was down to 44. It gradually went up though. I continued to feel crummy the rest of the day, but felt ok when I got up this morning.

Could it be that I felt awful because my heart rate was low and my heart was doing strange things? Or, is it possible that my heart rate went down BECAUSE my heart was beating irregularly? I remember last time I felt like that, my heart rate was 50. Generally it's anywhere between 62-80. Or, is this just a matter of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" I've been on the same meds. (Verapamil and Norpace) for years, so it's not a matter of new medication.

Any thoughts?

Rene'

Re: low heart rate

Rene,

That's what I felt like when I was in a-fib. Maybe you should check out that possibility.

Debbie

Comment

Rene',

Hi. Maybe it was related to hydration issues reflecting a drop in your HR and maybe not.
      I know that as the fall months are here we are running our furnaces at night here in New England and I have noticed a more punky feeling in the AM with some increase in these seemingly transient symptoms myself. Also I know that I am not as hydrated because my skin is already getting dry and itchy.

Have you tried taking your BP in the AM after rising. I know we all do it (Pop the pills right in),but sometimes in the morning we have to wait a bit until the vital signs equivalate a bit before taking the meds . This just may be your body responding to some temporary incidents and maybe it is something more concerning requiring a check in w/ your doc. If it happens again I would certainly inform my cardio. At the very least try checking and recording your BP/P for a few days and checking to see if you have undergone any recent weight changes as well.

A sudden drop in BP or heart rate can be brought by various factors one of which could be by simple position changes and sudden increase in cardiac demand. Move slowly from lying to sitting and sitting to standing.

More techniquely there is a vasal vagal response that often occurs with these same symptoms that you report. It is transient and usually subsides without incident as long as we take care and don't push ourselves too hard and too fast.

I hope this has helped and that you continue to feel better.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hydration may be a factor - as you mentioned you vomited and this makes me thing you had something going on in your system that may have 'messed up' your electrolites and hydration levels.

Talk to your doctor - and drink some gatoraid if you are feeling badly in the future- it just may help!

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Rene, I'm sorry you had such a rotten day. You really need to take this story to your doctor and try to find out what was happening. You got a lot of possibilities from previous responses to your postings, and it could have been any of them. If your blood pressure was dropping extremely low, it could have triggered a response of vomiting. I assume you were feeling your pulse to get the rate. If it was really that slow, your blood pressure may very well have dropped low enough to cause vomiting. An extremely slow rate may not be putting out enough blood through the heart to give you an adequate blood pressure.

Another thing that may have happened is that your heart was really beating faster but it wasn't pumping out enough blood for you to be able to feel the pulse. If that was happening, you would count a slow rate, those beats you couldn't feel wouldn't really be pumping out enough blood to be worthwhile and you would still get a low blood pressure and the real bad symptoms you had. If you had been wearing a monitor, it would have been able to see if you had different types of beats, some not really pumping enough blood to cause a palpable pulse(one that you could feel when counting).

Your doc needs to know all of your symptoms, including whether the pulse you felt was regular, irregular, and if you felt each beat at the same intensity. I hope you are feeling better now. Please call your doc soon so you get some answers. Remember, if you are really feeling bad, slow pulse, and lots of symptoms, the ER is your backup. Please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the replies! There is so much collective knowledge on this board that it's amazing! and very helpful.

I'm definately feeling better than I was the other day. And, I have a bit of a sense of humor about it now. That morning, I still felt lightheaded and shakey while taking a shower. I knew I was going to get sick, so I got out of the shower, and there I was...soaking wet and vomitting! Boy, I bet I was quite the sight!

All joking aside though, I really need to find out what is going on. It's so disturbing when my heart starts doing all those funky things and I start feeling awful. I'll try to call the cardio. this week.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

Rene'

Comment

Rene

When I am in AFib, I always vomit. Ialso SWEAT profussly, have constant chest pain & feel crummy.. Every one is right talk with your Cardio
              RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X