If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MRI of heart w/dye

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI of heart w/dye

has anyone had the MRI of the heart with the dye?? I had an MRI done about a year and a half ago at NEMC....took about 45 min. and had to keep holding my breath (that was the tough part), but they did not inject any dye.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: MRI of heart w/dye

Hi Cynthia, yes, I don't know if it's actually a dye with MRI, I know it's dye when they do the angiogram. I've had both.
    When I had the MRI, they injected a small bit of radio active material so they can take pictures of it.
    If it is the dye, then it's no big deal, the dye they inject gives you a warm feeling as it rushes thru your body.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Comment

thanks, Glenn. How long did it take and did you have to keep holding your breath???

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Now your asking me to go back 30 years.
        I actually spent a week in the hospital undergoing all kinds of tests because they were not that familiar with HCM at that time and didn't know what I had.
        I cannot remember the actual time frame, but the MRI does take awhile and I believe there were times they asked me to very still and hold my breath.
        I think they did the MRI with nothing first, then injected me and I had to wait awile, maybe an hour before they did the MRI again.
        Like I said that was 30 years ago so maybe they do not do it twice now.
        Anyway, I cannot remeber it being that big of a deal, my biggest problem was when they did the angiogram because they went into both groins to insert the tubes and probes and I remember later it hurt like **** and I had to lay there with these big weights on both my groins.
        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
        So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
        Good luck and stay well.
        Glen

Comment

Cynthia-

Dr. Maron had me in for a cardiac MRI both with and without gadolinium contrast just recently (September 04).

I got to see many of the images. They were huge, animated computer files - so I only saw a few of the shots as it took a looong time to process on the PC he had set up. The images were incredible considering a beating heart presents problems for cameras - especially a heart in AFib as mine is/was.

The pictures were 3D - sharp as a tack leaving no doubt what one was looking at. The contrast apparently "attaches" to scare tissue in the heart and provides evidence of damage. In my case there was a lot.

The test did take more than an hour and there was a lot of breath holding.

Hope this helps.
          • 1995: Brigham & Women’s Hospital - diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation
          • 2004: Falkner Hospital – diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure
          • 2004: Tufts NEMC– diagnosed with “End Stage” Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
          • 2005: Genetic Test – Laboratory for Molecular Medicine. HCM confirmed – missense mutation detected in TNNT2 gene
          • 2009: Brigham & Women’s - Third cardioversion begin Amiodarone for AFib
          • 2011: Brigham & Women’s - Medtronic ICD implant

Comment

Cynthia,

I remember mine taking about an hour and a half. Mine was done a few years ago. I remember holding my breath a lot and being very, very still while the test was going on...

Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Cynthia,

I also had one done in September with Dr. Maron and it was exactly as Boz described. Took about 1:20 in all. However, I never got to see the images...I'm jealous, Boz.

Doug
              NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

so, what exactly do they find on these MRI's with the dye contrast? did anything show up that they weren't aware of initially?? I do know that they can locate scar tissue....also, can anything be done to take away excess scar tissue??

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I know they can get a better idea of septal measurement. I didnt have any scar tissue so I dont know what they can do about it.
                  I had mine in May at Duke. Just like everyone else said. More than an hour and lots of "be still and hold your breath". Luckily I was so sleepy I dozed between comands on the head phones Just goes to prove I really can sleep ANYWHERE!
                  2.6 Septal Measurement
                  ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
                  "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
                  ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

For mine they didn't find anything new. I didn 't hear they could see any scar tissue from my myectomy. The main thing they saw with mine was that my ejection fraction was diminished. It was just another test that supported what they saw with the echo. I think each person has different issues and yours may be good in that it will show any piculiarities (SP) in your situation. Let us know what happens.

Doug
                    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X