If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laoshur
    replied
    Re: Update

Mary,

I wish I had lots of answers for you, but I don't. However, I do have a hint about the money from the school:

Petition, petition, petition.

Having taught at a large American university for nine years and at smaller ones for 13 years, I can tell you that they hate to give money back, but they sometimes do if you press the issue. Go in and ask politely what procedure they have for petitioning for a complete withdrawal with refund. They rarely mind giving retroactive withdrawals, but hate giving the money back, for obvious reasons. I should add that the vast majority of people who ask for refunds do not have a good case for asking, but some, such as you, do.

What you will need is documentation. You will need records of the times you were hospitalized and a letter from a doctor that states that you are physically unable to attend. Armed with documentation and some patience, I think you have a decent chance to get a refund. At least this would have been the case at the previous university where I taught. I the time I was there, I never knew a student to get a refund on the first or second try, but there was a committee which responded to petitions of this nature which gave full refunds for legitimate excuses.

They also might give you a prorated refund based on the date of withdrawal. For that reason, it might be helpful if you first attempt to get your withdrawal date set back to the actual date you stopped attending. This was also possible at my university by petitioning a different committee.

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    Re: Update

Mary, seems like the never ending story.
    Wish there was something we could do other than wish a better outcome for you.

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    started a topic Update

Update

First of all, I want to apologize for not keeping everyone updated on what is going on. I've been feeling really down lately and had pretty much shut everyone out.

I did go to Boston and did not get the answers I was looking for. I wanted solid answers and all we came up with seemed to be more questions. We have exhausted the cardiac meds route because my blood pressure will not tolerate even the smallest of doses. They did find out that the episodes were not causing any long term damage at this point. So, we are just going to try and treat the pain. They are really going out on a limb and trying anything that could possibly work. We are going to try and get me set up at a pain clinic to see if we can find a way to keep the chest pain at bay.

We did discuss heart transplant but my EF with my Pacer is at 55% so it is not an option. At least not right now anyways.

We also agreed that my current position at the hospital was too hard for me. So I've been out of work for a while now. I am supposed to have a meeting on Monday to discuss this and what my options might be. Hopefully, we can find a secretary position for me. I got a call back from the cardiac floor with my hospital and I have an interview next week.

I went to school to discuss getting reimbursed for my tuition because I didn't even make through the first week of school. The school bluntly told me that the only way I would get any reimbursement is if I were in the military or I had died. I thought that was pretty calloused but that is the school system for ya.

I'm still fighting the effects of that darn flu vaccine. I just wonder how long it's going to last!

Mary S.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X