If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart Screening #9 at Peoria High School, Oct. 23rd

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

SharonBates Find out more about SharonBates
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Screening #9 at Peoria High School, Oct. 23rd

In light of a recent post about a heart screening company in Illinois providing inappropriate screenings, I thought it would be nice to let everyone know the wonderful work that continues through the Anthony Bates Foundation and with moral support from the HCMA.

By the numbers -

- 1 educational 15-minute video produced and distributed, titled, "What is HCM?"
    - 2 degrees of separation from Oprah (I want to be on her show!)
    - 2 degrees of separation from Toby Keith (I want him to be a spokeperson for HCM, heart screenings for our young people and heart health education)
    - 4 successful heart screening events in Arizona (high schools)
    - 4 successful heart screening events in Kansas (college)
    - Over 6% of those screened have abnormal results
    - 8 heart screening events overall
    - 14 to 40 are the ages of the people screened
    - > 60% of those screened are male
    - 258 high schools in Arizona received the video "What is HCM?" in the summer of 2004
    - 380 high schools in Kansas received the video "What is HCM?" in the summer of 2004
    - $600 to $1600 is the cost of an echocardiogram at a cardiologists office across our country
    - > 1500 video tapes distributed all over North America and the UK
    - > 1500 FREE echocardiograms to communities in Arizona and Kansas
    - > 10,000 people have heard our message about heart health and screenings for young people
    - $900k to $2.4 million dollars of volunteered services provided to communities in FREE screening services

Our next heart screening event will be this Saturday at Peoria High School, 11200 N. 83rd Ave, Peoria, AZ, from 8 am to 1 pm. We anticipate a very busy day with a lot of welcome support. Through our events we continue to bring awareness to HCM and educate many many young people about their hearts!

Thank you to Lisa and the HCMA message board for continuing to educate me about this chronic illness. My work is endless and rewarding! I am so very grateful to all of you for your encouragement and support over the last four years!

Love,
    Sharon Bates
    www.AnthonyBates.org

Re: Heart Screening #9 at Peoria High School, Oct. 23rd

YOU are THE BEST!

Anthony is so proud of his mom --- I just know it. You are proof that screenings can be done well!!!

Big hugs!!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Sharon,
      You continue to be amazing and an inspiration to us all.

May you continue to have tons of energy and good health to continue in all your goals .

Blessings, Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Sharon, I read this and wanted to come help, until I realized that you meant Peoria, AZ, not Peoria, IL. Darn it!

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hello Everyone,
          We had a great turn out for our heart screening event considering it was homecoming and the dance was scheduled for Saturday evening, too. We were able to screen over 160 young people and we found 5 people with abnormal echoes. We have scheduled another heart screening event for this school to bring in more young people and organizations of the school district. Sat. March 5, 2005. There are (8) eight high schools in this district and over 35,000 students (k-12), so this is just the tip of the iceburg of screenings for Peoria Unified School District in the Phoenix, AZ area.

While we were doing the screening we had visitors from PA, OH, WI, Seattle, WA, CA, NJ and all over AZ learning about heart screenings and finding how they could support heart screenings and heart education efforts through our foundation and with their own talents. It is amazing when I watch these events unfold how many wonderful people are excited about this project. What is even more amazing are the wonderful efforts that all the volunteers made to "Make A Difference" on the National day of volunteering.

Plus, we obtained (2) AED donations from our visitor that will be placed in the two of the Peoria schools. Yippee!!! There was a video crew from the school district at the heart screening event. We will be doing a presentation at the first school board meeting in November to update the school board about the heart screening process and present them with the donated AED's for two of their 8 district high schools. That is only the beginning of the donations that we will be obtaining for schools that have our screenings.

All in all I am a happy camper! Now on to the next big adventure...paperwork.

Sharon

Comment

Sharon,

Thank you for all of the great work that you do. Your events not only save lives through the screenings themselves... but by raising public awareness of HCM, you benefit us all. You really are an inspiration... and Anthony must be so proud of the work his mom is doing in his name. We all are.

Congrats on the great turnout on Saturday!

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Sharon, thank you and congratulations - I second what Jim says! I hope the paperwork doesn't prove to be the hardest part. You deserve a little rest. Linda

Comment

Sharon,
                There is, I believe, an old biblical saying that goes, “If you save one life, it is as if you have saved the whole world.” One day, a number of tears ago, I was very fortunate and got the opportunity to save someone’s life. I am still bathing in the warm glow of that incident.

There is also a Jewish tradition that if you do a mitzvah (good deed) in someone’s name, it goes to that person’s credit – although I am sure some of that rubs off on the doer as well. Just imagine how you and Anthony are recorded in G-d’s ledgers after all the good you’ve done, and are continuing to do, through the Anthony Bates Foundation.

I am very proud to know you.
                Burt

Comment

Sharon,

You are unbelievable. Keep up the good work. And thank you...

Tigger1
                  " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Sharon,
                    Thank you for all your hard work and committment to HCM .
                    Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X