If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Echocardiogram report questions

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Eileen2345 Find out more about Eileen2345
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echocardiogram report questions

Hi everyone, I need your help please......

I just got the results from my echocardiogram and I do not know what they mean. (Maybe I should not know.) I saw the cardiologist today and his assisant and the doctor did not give me much information about the echo at all. His assistant, a woman, was very nice and talked to me more than the doctor but she did not give me any information about the echo either.

It was 12noon by the time the doctor made it into the examing room to see me -- lunch time. All he said was that I had a big problem and that I needed to start medication or think about surgery, that is all they can do for me. He wrote a prescription for Cardizem 120 mg daily.

Does anyone here know if this is a really bad report, a not so bad report or typical for HOCM? Help!

I would like to know what the normal ranges for these results are because I just can't help thinking that the doctor hasn't said much because it is grim. Or maybe I am making more out of this than there really is. I honestly do not know. The not knowing is difficult because then my imagination takes over and I start thinking the worst. It is driving me crazy.

I know my EF is high but is anything else okay or really bad?

Here is what the report said:

-- Dramatic concentric left ventricular hypertrophy

-- Possible systolic anterior motion

-- Left atrial enlargment 4.5 cm.

-- Color very limited

-- Ejection Fraction 84% no wall motion abnormalities

-- Relaxation abnormality

-- Mean gradient near outflow of 47 mmHg, peak velosity 4.6 mls

-- Trivial tricuspid regurgitation pulmonary artery systolic pressure 45 mmHg.

-- Septal wall thickness 2.7 cm

-- Clinical Indications: HOCM VT ICD implant

Thank you in advance for any replies and information.

Eileen
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Re: Echocardiogram report questions

The short version - you have HCM with obstruction - a rather thick heart at 2.7 a very powerful heart with an EF at 80+%. At the very least you should start the meds suggested ASAP... if you do not have luck with it working to help relax your heart there are other meds to try. Do you Have an ICD now?

Take care - oh and do not freak out...while it is not a 'mild' case as some may term it...it is something you can LIVE with!

lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you Lisa.

Yes I have an ICD implant. I've had it now for almost 2 years. It has shocked me once.

If I may, I have another quesiton.......Is a high EF a good thing or not? I thought that a high EF was not good with HOCM. I know with Dilated Cardiomyopathy, it is a low EF that is a problem, and I thought that it was switched for people with HCM. Low EF a problem with DCM and high EF a problem with HCM. I read that a normal EF is 55% to 65%

Thank you for the input, I sincerely appreciate your time and information.

Eileen
      49 yrs. old
      Diagnosed at 31.
      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Eileen, the high EF just means that your heart is very strong and beats forcefully. The problem comes when it can't relax enough to fill with blood properly. The medicine may help with that. Keep asking your questions. We'll help as much as we can.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X