If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocked for the first time

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dew_drop_2 Find out more about dew_drop_2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocked for the first time

Well last firday morning I got shocked for the first time. Ive had the icd for 2 yrs. I had just got out of bed went to the kitchen to get my daughter off to the bus and it happened. I got her out the door, didnt tell her (didnt want to worry her) called my husband at work. He called for the ambulance and since we live on base they carted me down town. This hospital doesnt have the equipment to check the icd and just did an ekg and blood work and 5 hours later told me I was fine and sent me on my way. A doctor that has trained with my doctors in Miss now works at the local cardiologists office that Ive been to before so I was able to get in on Monday and get checked. It was a legitimate fire no malfunctions and I was shocked with 20 joules. I have to say it was extremely frightening but Ive finally worked around to being ok with it. This doc put back on the verapamil 120 mgs and ambien. I was also able to contact my doc in Miss and spoke with him to let him know whats been going on. We agreed that the time I was off the verapamil showed that actually was doing me some good and I knew after the migraines and vertigo I was better off on it. I read him part of the report and he voiced his concerns at the number of episodes that I had in such a short period and hopefully the meds will help. He told me that he was very confident that I would get great care with this local doc and they will talk about my case. I feel so lucky I now have 3 docs conferring on my case. I have found myself more aware of what I do and moving slower and taking things a little easier. Im just not looking forward to the 30 joules shock, Im just glad I have people to talk to about it, I didnt realize the emotions I would go through when it happened.
    Lana

Re: Shocked for the first time

dear dew drop,

i'm glad to hear you are getting good care. and that your icd fire was "good"--as in theraputic.

i think it is perfectly natural to be a bit freaked out by it. i was freaked just at the idea of an icd when it was once suggested i get one (i don't have one, no risk factors), so i can't even imagine how scary it must be.

i have had times where i don't think i'm going to see another day, though, so i appreciate the stress of a fire if not the actual event. i remind myself that every day is a gift. even yucky days at a job i hate!

take care and keep us posted

sarah

Comment

Hi Dew Drop

I've had my ICD since November 2000 and fortunately I have not been zapper yet. Getting zapped for no apparent reason was why I didn't want the device at all (I talked to people that were zapped for no reason). It took me a long time to convince myself that it was the right thing to do. Every now and then I get carried away thinking negative again. I can't imagine what it's like getting the first zap.

I have read incidents from many people that have been shocked that it played a big part of their everyday living. Some have to go through therpy, some on antidepressents and others worry most all the time.

I know that having the ICD is a precautionary measure and with us that have all the symptoms of possible sudden death, it is a blessing, BUT that fear is still there. I have no idea why.

I'm so glad we have a place where we can come to communicate with others that understand.

Please take care and keep in touch.
      Esther

Comment

I'm so glad that you have the ICD.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I am so happy that you are here to tell us about this... if not for that ICD...well lets just say the world would be a lot different today for those you love.

Everytime I hear a story of an ICD going off it brings a smile to my face... while I know the experience is not fun... the outcome is well worth it!

Thank you to all of the researchers, technician, doctors, nurses, engineers, and EVERYONE involved in creating this wonderful technology!!

I sure am glad Dew Drop was able to drop in today!

Take care,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dew drop ,
            Sorry you had to get zapped but happy you did nonetheless. I know it would not be at all good for you daughter not to have you with her each day as she leaves for school and for the rest of your family as well. Heck what would we do with out yew, Dew. Sorry could not resist, Lisa started it!

I know it will take time to dull the trauma of it but hang in there. As Martha Stewart says, " This is a good thing."

Best to you . Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X