If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got the important call and got listed this morning!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dreamcatchinglady Find out more about dreamcatchinglady
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got the important call and got listed this morning!!

Hey everyone. Thanks to all of you for the support. I got a phone call today and this morning I got put on thetransplant list. I am so nervous and don't know what questions to ask them. They have an informational meeting with me and my parents on October 18th. IF anyone has been thru this and knows what questions or hints to ask it would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
    Now my aunt is going on the list too. What a curse the hcm in my family Is and for you guys too. My mom cut this clipping out of the newspaper and it was a picture of a sculpture called heart warrior. I told her that is what I am going to be a rooting heart warrior and I said to myself that's what everyone in the hcma group is going to be!! Even though I don't know you guys u are the best and we will achieve. God bless you all.
    Kimberly K. Plaster

Re: I got the important call and got listed this morning!!

Kimberly,

Hooray! You have a very positive attitude, and that will take you a long way in your journey.

Keep us posted, and good luck and health to you.

Debbie

Comment

Kimberly, I'm glad that you're on your way. I'm sorry that it needs to be a family package deal though. Good luck.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Kimberly ,
        I am so glad you are listed you have been on my mind. Likewise I am sorry to hear that your aunt shares these same problems, the good thing is that you can share this journey with each other.
        When I had my myectomy it was very helpfull to my brother-in-law that we could share the open heart part. He called me his coach and positive motivator.
        I think if you PM Midge Rollins she will offer you some good suggestions regarding questions to ask, etc..

Best wishes to you and keep up the positive attitude.
        Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi again Kimberly,
          So it looks like you and your aunt will be members of our next graduating class. Is it too soon to say congratulations? Boy, this class will be full. With you and your aunt I now know of four people going onto the list. With over twenty-five years of successful practice, it looks like this procedure will soon be listed as ‘routine.’

I wonder what it would be like not to have this disease any longer. It must be great. Medicine has sure come a long, long way in my lifetime. In fact, so has my life expectancy. When Social Security was first started, back in the early thirties when I was born, to reach the age of sixty-five was a fairly rare occurrence, and people who did live that long were generally fully worn out and used up. Today, sixty five is still the prime of life, with the life expectancy up into the eighties, and continuing to climb. We often get cured, patched up, repaired, wound up and sent back into the game as good as new – sometimes better.

To me it proves that G-d wants us to continue His work of creation by overcoming the hurdles he has left in our path. When you think of all the diseases and maladies we have concurred so far – it just has to be His will. So my friend, I guess you are one of the ones who will be returning to the game in better shape then ever before, and your life expectancy will go back up into the normal range. Use your extended years wisely.
          Burt

Comment

This is good news! I am sure you have many mixed emotions - but one thing is clear ---you are on the right path!

Good Luck!
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Kimberly

Good Luck to you and your Aunt, i hope both of you get your new heart but stay well in the meantime

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I had my heart transplant Mar.19, 2004. Have never felt better. Please feel free to PM me. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. I know I had tons of them.
                Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Kimberly, that's great news, good luck.
                  Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                  So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                  Good luck and stay well.
                  Glen

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X