If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctors in Florida

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vickie Find out more about vickie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors in Florida

Hi everyone,
    I would just like to take this opportunnity to say that as an RN for 19 years and an HOCM patient for 4, and now the mom of a 12 year old boy who was just diagnosed (with HCM) 5 months ago, I am very satisfied with the care we have received from the physicians in the state of Florida.
    They seem to be getting a bad rap on the board lately, and I feel that I must defend them. Of course, I can't speak for all the physicians in my state, just as no one can about the care they receive in their state, but my experiences here were actually better than my experiences at one of the oft-mentioned specialty centers. I really do not want to offend anyone. I just would like it if the bad-mouthing of Florida healthcare could stop. Thank you very much.

Re: Doctors in Florida

Hi Vickie,
    You are quite right to defend your doctors if they are treating you well, but like every place else, there are good doctors, fair doctors and not so good doctors. Just as you have the right to loud your good doctors, others have the right to complain about the poor treatment they got from their doctors and hospitals.

If you’ll notice there were no names mentioned in any of the grips. That would be improper. Some Florida doctors and hospitals have come under attack because one or more of our members were treated poorly by them on a number of occasions. This does not paint all facilities and doctors in Florida with the same brush – nor should it.

If you scan the past postings you will see people gripping about their doctors, medical facilities, insurance coverage’s, insurance companies denying requests for medical attention that should never be denied, and all manor of mistreatment – in the broadest terms, coming from all over the country and world.

It’s every person’s right to complain about mistreatment of every kind, but that doesn’t mean everything and everybody is bad. I am very happy that you have received good treatment – I wish we all could say the same. If you look back at some of my postings you will see me griping about some of the treatment I received in Nevada, and that’s a long way from your home.

As a group I would say that we are always on the lookout for good news, but when the world comes crashing down on us, we also like to gain comfort from complaining about it to our friends. Please do not take our complaints as an attack on all doctors or facilities in your area, or anywhere else for that matter. Mostly it’s just a cathartic release of pent up frustrations.

Have a great week – and please stop having so many hurricanes.
    Burt

Comment

I have scanned the past postings, and that is the reason that I said what I did. I believe that it is one thing to knock your own physician, hospital, insurance carrier, etc, but that is not the same as knocking someone else's. There are alot of negative posts about care in Florida from people who have never received care in Florida. I would never question the care provided by physicians in Nevada or New Jersey or anywhere else just because of what I had been told. I am only asking for the same consideration for the fine physicians here in my state. I appreciate the opportunity to defend them, Thanks. Vickie

Comment

Hi, Vicky,

From time to time many of us have been offended by things that others have said here. I know that you are right, that there have been several comments made about medical care in Florida that were entirely too broad to be reasonable or fair. As far as I know, I never said any of these, but I kept silent about what I should have recognized as obviously false. Also, I have probably offended people in other ways and on other subjects. So, on behalf of all of us, I apologize. We were wrong. Of course, we all know, if we are thinking rationally, that there have to be good, caring, competent, and excellent doctors and all levels of medical professionals in Florida. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise. So, again, we were wrong. Please forgive us for taking a few bad examples and making them a rule.

I hope you will realize that the comments on Florida were said to support people who were struggling with specific situations. Some of us here tend toward hyperbole, so we are always likely to overstate our case. Others of us have had bad experiences with misdiagnoses and so tend to be very sympathetic with people who have problems with doctors. Because of this we are apt to overreact, so that rather than expressing just our concern, we take out our frustration by overgeneralizations such as badmouthing the medical profession in Florida.

I am not saying this to excuse us. I am only hoping that you will understand us, forgive us, continue to remind us of our need to write responsibly, and stay around to share your and our joys and sorrows. On that note, let me say that I am truly sorry that your son has to share these difficulties with all of us.

Again, for all those who have been hurt by things said here, please forgive us.

Rhoda

Comment

Vickie,

The level of medical treatment for HCM patients in the United States is poor. This is not a generalization, it’s a fact. That is why this organization and website exists.
          This message board is full of stories about inexperienced doctors, mis-diagnoses, wrong medication, and wrong procedures.
          If you are an HCM patient and happen to live in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Cleveland, Ohio, Rochester and Minneapolis, Minnesota, Jacksonville Florida or Palo Alto California, then you’re in luck.
          Otherwise it’s a crapshoot.
          I live outside Atlanta, Georgia. Here, the care is poor if you’re an adult with HCM, but pretty good if you’re a child.
          I do not get the same impression about Florida that you’re getting. There have been several threads about Mary’s poor care in the Orlando area. I feel that these reports are accurate.
          Since you are an RN, and you have had good experiences, then I believe that the board would like to hear about them. I would agree with you that the boards can be too negative at times.
          If you feel that you have worked with solid, experienced doctors with your family’s HCM, I’m sure they wouldn’t mind some positive feedback. What clinics or hospitals gave you these great experiences? Why do you feel that they were so wonderful?
          Remember, there could be other Florida patients either now or in the future on these boards that can benefit from your experiences.
          Fx

Comment

There are good doctors everywhere...there are not so good doctors everywhere. Over the past few months we have heard some - less then optimal- stories from several people - the unfortunate common factor had been location.
            I can tell you for sure that the -less than optimal- stories I hear on the phone happen all over the world. The problem with this is simple - most health care providers need to do better for those with HCM.

Have a good day!
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Sorry if I offended anyone about the health care in Florida. But, if you also noticed I have praised a few as well. Even with my past experiences even at Gainesville I did give credit where it was due. I have been to at least ten different hosptials and in each area cardiology wise generally they don't have a clue. A few times this cluelessness almost cost me life.

But from now on I will keep my complaining to myself.

Mary S.

Comment

Hey dearheart,
                This forum serves many purposes. Some are to inform, some are to ask questions and get answers, some are to learn more about this condition, and some are to let off steam when we feel the need.

Personally, I don’t think Vicki wanted to stifle personal opinion or the need to vent when circumstances overcame us. I believe her objection was with our commiserating with you about your care while in Florida – and us never having gotten medical care in the state ourselves. I believe she now understands that our concern was for you and your care, and we were not out to denigrate the entire medical profession in the state.

I hope this is so, and Vicki stays with us and tells us about the great care she and her family are getting there. I think it would also be helpful if we knew where in the state she is in the event we find ourselves there some day, in need of medical attention.

Anyway, feel good – and gripe when you’ve got ‘em,
                Grandpa

Comment

Hi, Mary,

Welcome back! I wish it could have come accompanied by your having better news and more information, but regardless, we are glad to see you.

I agree with Burt. I don't think this was directed at you. It was directed at the rest of us, who overgeneralized about medical care in Florida in response to your and other's legitimate complaints. We should all be careful about our responses. But I know that all of us want everyone, especially you, to be able to vent when you need to. So please keep us in the loop as to what is happening with you!

I continue to pray that you get some answers and, better yet, relief!

Rhoda

Comment

Gosh, Rhoda, I wish that I could get my point across as well as you can. You get the message. The original post was not to criticize Mary. It was not to criticize anyone here. It was just meant as a reminder that overgeneralization is bound to not tell the whole story. As Mary can attest to (unfortunately), some cases of every disease are just harder to treat than others. She has had a hard time here in Florida, and now she has had a hard time in Boston. We cannot now badmouth the care in Boston just as we should not badmouth the care in Florida. There are just as many good doctors in our state as in any other, I believe. Unfortunately, there are bad doctors everywhere, and certainly Florida is no exception. If you don't live in Florida, you probably haven't noticed the bad rap our doctors have been getting here. I would just ask for everyone to be fair. If anyone would like to know the names of the doctors that my son and I have dealt with here, they can PM me and I will be happy to share their names with you.
                    Also, thank you , Rhoda, for sharing your concern over my son and his recent diagnosis. At the age of 12 and as a boy who has LIVED sports since he was 5, this has had a huge impact on his life. I am trying to find a balance between being cautious and overprotective. I am dealing with the knowledge and guilt of passing this on to him. He is handling this with more integrity than I thought possible for anyone of 12 years. He told me, "Mom, I got my freckles from you, too."
                    Thanks to everyone for allowing me to share.
                    Vickie

Comment

Hi Vickie, Im interested to hear more. I live in the Panama City area and unfortunately the cardio I saw looked me sqaure in the eye told me I was fine but said its standard to get another opinion so of we went to Miss (we are military so we go where they allow us to go) there to discover that I have HCM and under the knife I went. I dont judge all of FLorida on that one event just that doctor. I know that there are no docs here locally that can help me the echo tech that saw me after the myectomy had never even heard of hcm. Im extremely comfortable with my docs in Miss. its very hard on us travel wise and taking my daughter out of school everytime. Thanks for your time
                      Lana

Comment

Vickie, your son sounds great.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Just a note about Florida.

Dr. Asher is a cardiologist that trained in HCM under Dr. Harry Lever in Cleveland at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Asher was recently transferred to the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center in Florida.
                          Cleveland Myectomy Club
                          August 31, 2004

Comment

quick comment:

Venting is ALWAYS permitted here - we need a place to for this very important part of living with a chonic illness.

Caution is suggested in "overgeneralizing" our problems. I for one have a real problem with terms like "every one knows..." or "those people are always..." Without getting in to politics I have found that in the past few weeks (and for the next few to come) we are all going to hear a great deal of this type of talk - but not about HCM. There are ALWAYS 2 sides to every story. Some day I will give you all some of my best stories of life in the HR dept. and how often I felt like I was on the TV show Threes Company - there is always some little miscommunication that gets blown out of proportion and WALLA you have a problem!

Have a great day everyone!
                            Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

i agree with sturart dr asher is a fine doctor he took care of me for 4yrs with my hocm i now have dr lever in cleveland who is top notch a major plus for any people living in fla. to have dr. asher

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X