If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dinner with cardio!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cheerchicken05 Find out more about cheerchicken05
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dinner with cardio!!!

alright so i donno if i shared this before, but a while back at my church a group of us kids led the entire church service..worship, the sermon, sound, everything. 3 other students and myself were the speakers and we were all speaking on our dreams. Mine was to get information out to people my age that it IS possible to die of heart problems, even though heart problems are normally associated with older people, and symptoms we've felt all our life doesnt mean they are normal.

so later this amazing lady named jan hanson comes up to me, i think she teaches or something at johns hopkins, not too sure, but i do know that she shared with me that her dream was to get medical students to really care about thier patients. her husband has NUMEROUS health problems, both cardiovascular and neurological (but gosh is he amazing!!! and hes a public school teacher..dont know how he does that...) so they have been around MANY MANY MANY doctors, a lot of which werent as caring as they should be in thier terms.

so theres the background!! anyway recently jan has been telling me about a retired cardiologist who i guess was really good, and they are really good friends. she shared with him my dream and he really wants to help. Next saturday night (the 9th) im going over to the hanson's to have dinner with them and Dr. Vizcarrondo. i hope it goes well and GOOD GOOD stuff comes out of it!!!
    ~janelle*
    \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Re: dinner with cardio!!!

Good for you!

In my opinion there is no better way to get the younger generation to listen than to hear it from one of their peers.

There are so many people that has this nasty disease and other heart related diseases that I applaud you in your journey to inform them.

Do you know where from what health facility Dr. Vizcarrondo retired from? I was once a patient at NIH in Bethesda, MD and they did a lot of research there in the early 70's until ?

Good luck!
    Esther

Comment

Janelle,
      You never cease to amaze me. What started as a class project has turned into a great work and of benefit to many, many people – I’m talking life and death issues here.

Not to change the subject too abruptly, but you mentioned an interview for a scholarship you had not too long ago. Have you gotten and response from them yet?

While I’m on the subject, I am a member of Mensa (that high I.Q. society) and I believe they also issue limited research awards and/or scholarships to deserving people. I know very little about it, as I am not particularly active in that segment of the organization, but if you wish, I would be happy to investigate further and let you know what I find out. Just let me know if you are interested.
      Burt

Comment

hey guys!!
        thanks for your support.
        i dont remember talking about an interview for a scholarship, maybe that was someone else??? i had an interview with a newspaper reporter, but nothing to get me college money!

I would be thrilled if you could get me any information on any scholarship oppurtunities. i want to major in graphics design and UMBC, and i would have to live there...very expensive!
        ~janelle*
        \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Mr. Borrok, It was me that had the interview for the Morehead Scholarship at UNC-Chapel Hill ( in NC.)....Guess the local guys didn't know a good thing when it was sitting right in front of them!!!!. I'm applying now for the NC Teaching Fellows - $6000 a year for 4 years and then I would have to teach in NC for 4 years. I'm leaning toward Biology and English on the high school level but I'm still not sure. Now, CheerChicken05====www.fastweb.com has lots of scholarships available. You fill out a profile on where you want to go to college, your interests, and the program gives you the names of scholarships in those areas. Good luck with your search. Are you a senior this year? I am and I will be glad when I know what I will be doing next year and where I will be going. I'll talk to you in "the hang out".

Later everyone,

Cynthia

Comment

Just a side note for those of you going into college. Once, you find the college you want start researching their web-sites. You will probably find a foundation area and that is where most of the scholarships for that school are. I would apply to everyone of those possible. You are more likely to get scholarships from there than most of the internet sites. It is not as competitive. Other areas you will want to try are your local Rotary Clubs, Kiwanis, and VFW. They almost always have available scholarships.

Just some extra hints from someone going through college.

Mary S.

Comment

Janelle and Cynthia, (and Mary too – if you’re interested),
              I’m sorry I didn’t respond sooner but I got off on a sidetrack. You can get the information about the Mensa grants at - http://merf.us.mensa.org/

I’m afraid the grants run in the $300 category, but if you wish to try for it by all means do so. The average age of the 2003 – 2004 winners was 22.7 years old, with the actual ages ranging from 16 to 75.

Hope this is of some help.
              Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
              X