If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all the kids.....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all the kids.....

[To all the kids.....]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-08-02 17:39

Hi,

This message is for all the kids who participated in the annual meeting:

Thank you for coming and thanks for sharing your experiences. Please feel free to participate in the message board as well. I hope you are all enjoying the summer.

To the kids who didn't come: know that there are other kids out there with what you have and the HCMA is here for you, too. And enjoy your summer, too!

later,

Sarah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: To all the kids.....]

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 06-10-02 15:33

To all those 10-20 years old with HCM -

I just want you all to know your NOT alone out there! Sarah and I were both diagnosed very young - I was 12. For the younger group - ask your parents if it is ok to use the message board - for you older kids, remember, there are younger kids hear too so please watch your language - thanks -

I remember very clearly what it was to be "the only one" of my friends with medical problems. It is not always easy, but it is not always hard either. Talking to others with the same diagnosis really helps!

So I do hope to see more postings - and mom and dads remember Sarah and I are watching the board very carefully and we want to remain positive,, even when someone is having a bad day, we are focused on HOW to have a better day, but do allow the occasional "this stinks!" moments.

Knowledge is power, stay informed.

Best wishes to all!

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

973-983-7429

Author: Paul Murphy (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-14-02 08:19

I'd like to thank you both, plus Kim, Ellen, and whoever else I'm missing for the attention shown our HCM kids at the recent conference. We had originally given Caitlyn, our 12 year old, the option of going to the meeting in NJ if she wanted to (my wife or I were definitely going). Then, after she had a bad stress test about a month ago, we said, "Pack your bags kid, you're goin' with us!" It was great for her (and us) to see all the 'normal' people there that have HCM. Caitlyn was really angry after the kids' breakout session, because she actually had to TALK about herself and admit she hadn't told any of her friends at home yet about her heart condition. So, this is a BIG step in a long process of acceptance and openness for her, and I wanted to thank you both in particular for helping facilitate it.

We told you this at the meeting, Lisa, but I'll say it again: I don't know where we'd be this last 8 months if it wasn't for the HCMA and their materials/website/and most of all, people.

Paul

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 06-14-02 11:18

Caitlyn is an amazing young lady who has a great deal to work though, but she will get there. I was so happy she came to the meeting and she and Becca (my daughter) seemed to have a great time... tell her Becca is still talking about her (she thinks Caitlyn is "Cool" )

Becca looked up to her and did not realize until the end of the day that she to had HCM - Becca said "mom, she is just a normal kid"... I thought I would be able to "tell if she had HCM, but I couldnt" I thought that was a interesting observation for a 6 year old.

I am working on next years program already and WILL include much more for our younger participants next year.

Thank you for your kind words and I am very happy you made it to the meeting.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X