If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does hepatic mass mean?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does hepatic mass mean?

[What does hepatic mass mean?]

Author: karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 06-08-02 08:53

Hi, All..

On hubby's echo report it states..."an incidental round hepatic mass 6.3 x7.2 x 5.7 is noted. Consider an appropriae imaging study for this."

Also, the 'incidental finding of a hepatic mass' is mentioned again in the summary of the report and says that further workup would be as per our primary doctor.

The 'mass' has not been mentioned to us. Somebody missing something here?

In my searching the net, I only found that 'hepatic' makes reference to the liver.

Any ideas?

Karla

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: What does hepatic mass mean?]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-08-02 12:46

Dear Karla

I would call the doctor on Monday and see what is up with that. A hepatic mass, in the reading I've done, is simply a lump in the liver and since the echo was not looking at the liver specifically, they use the term "incidental." As in: "we were walking down the street and, incidentally, we found this penny on the ground."

However, hepatic mass does also refer to the size of the liver itself and your post isn't clear if the echo tech is saying that the whole liver is too big or too small or if they found what looks like a lump _in_ the liver. This is definitely a doctor question.

good luck and let us know,

Sarah

Date: 06-08-02 15:12

Hi,Sarah..thanks for your response..

No, the report is not referring to the size of the liver, but to a 'mass' that they just 'happened' to find on the liver and the suggestion of further imaging. .

I took the report to my friend who is a nurse, and she helped interpret for me.

She suggests that I make a copy of the report and take it to dr's. office...highlighting the area in question, of course.

Appears to me that it is something that has fallen through the cracks, so to speak....the doctor apparently did NOT see these findings on the report and I need to bring it to his attention PRONTO on Monday morning !

Good grief! Now what? It was tough enough dealing with the HCM 'stuff' - now, it's about a mass on his liver!

I'll keep you posted,

Karla

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-08-02 17:35

Karla

yes, please let us know how it goes. It could very well just be a cyst, but certainly worth getting checked out. I know, if it isn't one thing, it's another.

hang in there,

Sarah

Date: 06-10-02 17:55

...seeing Cardiologist on Tuesday for heart halter results...and dr. on Wednesday about hepatic mass.

will let you know ....

Karla
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X