If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gradient Question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

connie Find out more about connie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gradient Question

Hi All,

I pop in and out from time to time, reading mostly. I had a quick question or two.
    I went to see a new cardiologist, in B-ham Alabama a couple of weeks ago, actually he wasent new to me, he helped Dr Neilsen @ MUSC perform my Ablation, Jan/2003, while he was on fellowship whith him.

At any rate I decided to use him as my regular cardiologist. He did and ultrasound and when they measured my gradients, the one @ rest was 11 and the one during Val Salva, 45.

My question is do the gradients go up and down at different times. When I had my check up @ MUSC this past March, the gradient, W/ Val Salva was 128.

Thats a big difference to my way of thinking.

They are wanting also to schedule me a clinical series of test for the elctrical workings of the heart.........I cant spell the big giant word they called it and the doctor they want me to see. ELECTRO somthing.
    Anybody with any ideas on this?

Connie
    The BEST is yet to come !!

Re: Gradient Question

1. Yes, gradients can vary alot depending primarily on your level of hydration, but also if you are tired, time of the month for women, and many other factors.

2. What they are probably looking to do is an electrophysiology study or EP study for short. I think you should ask more questions about whey they want to do this to you. In some non HCM patients these are used to assess need for an ICD, but for HCM patients, they aren't really helpful as a negative EP study isn't really meaningful in ruling out the possibility of sudden death. Are you having problems with arrythmias? Are they looking to do a catheter ablation to cure an arrythmia? These aren't done on HCMers so much either as there are usually too many pathways to ablate.

I would be very reluctant to undergo an EP study unless someone gave me a really good reason.

Good luck. As alot more questions.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thanks Cynaburst for the quick reply....

I have a real problem with PVC's on a regular basis, and I have episodes of the NEAR passing out, never have, but once in a while I have what I refer to as the BLACK spells.
      That info, coupled with the fact my mother died suddenly @59 is his reasoning for wanting the study done, to see if I may be a canidate for an ICD.
      Dr. Neilsen @ MUSC dident feel I needed an ICD just yet.

I personally am not excited at all about this STUDY and am leaning to not having it done. My husband suggested I wait and talk to Dr. Neilsen about it when I see him for my 2nd year check up in January 2005.

Thanks
      Connie

Comment

Connie, like Cynaburst said, the EP study isn't very helpful in determining your risk for sudden death in an HCM patient. Your heart is just too different. Get the second opinion.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Connie, I too have problems with PVC's. Also, for almost a year I have been having these near fainting spells as well. My Dr's can't agree on what is causing the spells, and my cardio isn't at all concerned about the amount of PVC's or how much they effect me. I understand how very frustrating it is and hopefully you can soon get some answers. I have never had the opportunity to have an EP study done so can't help you there.

Take care
          Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Hi Pam........

My G/P doctor was always very nervous about my PVC's and "black spells" and kept encouraging to get an ICD, but my Cardio Doc @ MUSC does'nt seem to think I need one, go figure.

He keeps a close eye on the situation and I feel secure w/ his recomendation.
            Those Little Devils (pvc's) sure are scary feeling sometime. Do some of your leave you breathless @ times?

Thanks

Connie

Comment

Connie - can you call the office - I think we need to chat a bit.

Having a gradient post ablation is not a good thing - the goal is to get rid of the gradient all together.

I will be in the office in the morning.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Originally posted by connie

My G/P doctor was always very nervous about my PVC's and "black spells" and kept encouraging to get an ICD, but my Cardio Doc @ MUSC does'nt seem to think I need one, go figure.

He keeps a close eye on the situation and I feel secure w/ his recomendation.
                Hi Connie. I'd be very nervous too. Good luck.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi Reenie,

Thanks for the advise.I saw my G/P day before yesterday, just to tell her good bye, as she is moving to north Ala.

She told me she had gotten a note from Dr Cauthan where is is scheduling me a EP study, and I told her I wasent going to have it done and she ask me if I wanted to drop dead? ha ha
                  I invited her to my funeral, (i have a strange sense of humor and she is good natured), and she diclined as I am being "BULL HEADED" as she puts it.
                  I explained to her about waiting to see Dr Neilsen @ MUSC in Jan. 2005.

Im going to talk to Lisa this next Tues. Maybe she can give me some insight on what I need to do.
                  Im like "Scarlett" now....tomorrow is another day..I cant think about this right now....ha ha its FRIDAY!!!

Connie

Comment

I wish you the best of luck. I know it's a pain to wait, but sometimes it's best. Have a great weekend.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                    X