[Brand new at this]

Author: Bruce Forthun (207.141.20.---)

Date: 06-07-02 21:18

I'm a 46 year old male, athletically inclined, with a slightly checkered medical history (rheumatic fever when I was a kid that morphed into rheumatoid arthritis a couple years later). I had an echocardiagram done 15 years ago at the behest of my dentist and it showed absolutely nothing. Two weeks ago I just finished up a 1hr session in cycle class, started cooling down and then my heart took off in race - I looked at my monitor and it said 230. After a couple hrs of that I went to the doc - he called the ambulance - they said v-tach after trying to stop it with adenosine for a-tach. They got it stopped with lidocaine but I didn't get out of the hospital until 8 days later and a 2 lead aicd installed. I just got back from the heart electrician today and he said no activity that would drive my heart rate over 100bpm - he confirmed non-obstructive . I have an appointment with a cardiologist in a couple weeks - he saw me for the first time during my hospitalization. From what I've read here on this board it sounds like hit or miss with Dr.s who know what's going on with HCM. How do you go about finding one? We live in Las Vegas - lots to choose from it looks like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Brand new at this]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 06-08-02 01:35

Dear Bruce,

Please call the office at 973-983-7429 to talk to Lisa so she can hook you up with the right doctor for you.

I'm very glad you caught it before you went totally south. You will find a lot of great people here on the board and at the office.

take care,

Sarah