If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chest Pain

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest Pain

Ok

I'm having a problem, Since Saturday evening i have been having chest pain when i get up and walk around, i went to the grocery store today and did some laundry and my chest is really hurting tonight, i didn't fix dinner i was hurting too much, i'm on 360 mg of verapamil everydayand i have taken my quota for today, this is something new for me since i was put on meds any suggestions i would really appreciate

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Re: Chest Pain

I don't have any suggestions but wanted to offer my support and sympathy.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Shirley, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it. You really need to call your doctor back and ask for his input. Of course, if the pain is not resolving for you as it normally would, emergency room is your backup plan. Do you still use oxygen at times? I can't remember. If you do, during chest pain would be a reasonable, even good time to use it. If it is heart-related chest pain, you are getting the pain because because the heart muscle isn't getting enough oxygen. If you use your portable oxygen supply, the heart won't have to work so hard at supplying it's own muscle and the pain should decrease/resolve. Either way, it would be good to let your doc know that the pain is occuring so frequently. Do you have your appt with Dr Maron yet? Hope you feel better. Linda

Comment

Linda

Yes i have the oxygen on it does help a little and i also have a call into both my doctors PCP and cardio doctor let's see which one calls first, but i have a feeling they are both going to say go to the ER and i just don't want to go there they don't know what to do with me so they just leave there with nothing hooked up and i have to pay them a 100 dollars to do that, when i can do that at home

I should have my appt with Dr. Maron by tomorrow

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Shirley,
          I suggest you use the oxygen for at least as long as your chest hurts – maybe more often in between to help keep the pain from returning.

You also said that the pain lessens when you lay down – lay down! – in bed, on the couch watching TV, in a lounge chair, etc.

Send Ken shopping – It will be good training for him in the event you do get a transplant and he has to rely on himself to get the food. You would be out of commission for at least three months before you take up the household chores again. Might just as well start breaking him in now with the laundry and cleaning too. You can direct him from the couch, while lying down. (Chances like this don’t come along every day; you might as well enjoy it while you can.)

Right now your primary task is getting along with as little pain as possible. If that means oxygen – use it, if that means lying down – do it, if that means relying on Ken a lot more – do that too. You are a team after all and are supposed to rely on each other.

Reminds me of the rich old man and the nude dancer - - - Oops, I can’t tell that here.
          Burt

Comment

Hi Shirley,

I am so sorry to hear all the problems you are having. I agree with Burt though. Just rest if that gives you relief. The chores will always be there.

I myself am finally learning that, I just cannot do things anymore. I have a family in denial. Especially my husband. I asked if I could trade him in for the guy I fell in love with and married.

I hope you get to see Dr. B Maron as soon as possible. He has some cv and is just the cat's meow with this disease. Then to add a wonderful personality to boot. I went to see his son in Boston, who is just as wonderful. Drs. to be should take lessons from these two.

Good luck and I will pray for you. I hope all goes well

Comment

Hello Shirley:

I do agree with the others - please take it easy and rest - pushing yourself like that would only make things worse and eventually you still would not be able to do anything at all.

Please rest and we would continue to pray for you.

Shirley
              (Shirls_6)
              \"With God all things are possible - remember He is still in the miracle business - just trust Him and keep the Faith\"

Comment

Thanks Guys

I made my mind up lastnight iam going to get something for this chest pain

I can't stay in bed all the time....i have to get some exercise, but thank you for all the advise and i plan on kicking back today and see if i get better

Shirley
                Diagnosed 2003
                Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Shirley

Sorry to hear you're having chest pains. Do you only feel the pain upon exerction (walking around is considered exerction)? Sounds like you need Cardio input. I understand your hesitance to go to the ER. When was you ladt Heart Cath done?
                  If rest releaves the pain, you really should rest until you see your Cardio.
                  Feel beter & keep us posted
                  RONNIE

Comment

Sorry I am late on this one .

Shirley I hope you are feeling better now. The chest pain can and is a misserable component to this disease even though most of us know it is not the blockage kind. Still stinks big time

You are facing challenging times and your heart wants more O2 and nutrients then it can get right now.
                    I know you have a lot in regards to daily expectations , but at this time as you await your appointment with Dr. Maron try to rest and get into the O2 as needed and as much as you can. Spare yourself as much physical and emotional stress as possible .

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily.
                    Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    Mye[email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Im sorry you are feeling bad. I have been having a lot of chest pain even though I take 225mg. topral xl and norvasc. Years ago before I was diagnosed the doctors gave me nitro and it helped alot. My current doctors at stanford clinic have given me nitro on a trial basis. Im amazed that im feeling better. I know every one with hcm is different but that has helped me a lot. I totally sympathize with you. The evenings when Im settling into bed are the worst part of the day for me. My chest will hurt for the longest time. Now with nitro Im able to get some sleep. I just make sure I dont exert myself again, then I have too start all over with my pain management.

Angela

Comment

CAREFUL - Nitro is contraindicated in HCM and can cause a drastic drop in BP.

Some do find it helpful - but caution is needed!

Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X