If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left Ventricular Hypertrophy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Rene' Koenig Find out more about Rene' Koenig
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Ventricular Hypertrophy

Hi Everyone!

Quick question. Can you have left ventricular hypertrophy and it not be HCM?

Rene'

Re: Left Ventricular Hypertrophy

Rene, yes, it can be caused by high blood pressure, it can be caused by intense physical training, valve diseases(these come to mind quickly, but are not the only causes). Most causes other than HCM will not be so localized, the changes will likely be showing some appearance in the rest of the heart also. The left ventricle is the part that does the most work, so it is more obvious there. Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda!

The husband of a friend of mine is currently in the hospital (he's 36 yrs. old). He has severe left ventricular hypertrophy and was told that he's in heart failure. His ejection fraction is 35 percent. That's basically the dx. that the Cardiologist gave them. They have been having trouble keeping his blood pressure up and his apical pulse has gone down to the 40's. Obviously, she's quite concerned, but the Cardiologist doesn't seem to be. That's for the info.!

Rene'

Comment

Rene,
        Just to share a comment. My cardiologist started writing LVH on my charge sheet every time I saw him. When I started pressing him about not feeling well. He said it was from high blood pressure left untreated.Also that it was nothing for me to concern myself with. That's when I reminded him that he only got high readings in the beginning before he started me on a diuretic, it was only a very short time of no treatment. I was later told that hypertrophy of the left ventricle as caused by high BP would take years to occur. I went home that night and told myself I was going to get to the bottom of these initials and the inconsistencies in his information.
        For me the result from my research was HCM, obstructed. Too bad I was right.
        I hope your friend is OK.
        Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Rene, I don't know where you are located or the capibilities of the facility your friend is in, but your friend may benefit from a little encouragement to push for more complete info. Maybe they are a bit timid about asking. My mother-in-law was in a very small, rural hospital and the local son and daughter kept telling me she was being seen by a cardiologist(she did not have an HCM problem). It was 350 miles from us, so when we finally got there, not realizing how bad it was, learned that there was not even a cardiologist on staff. Her "cardiology needs" were being taken care of by her family doctor, he somewhat admitted to misleading us about his qualifications. I questioned the possibility of consulting a cardiologist and of transfer to the hosp she had been in previously for her heart. The doctor told me she hadn't asked for that. I reminded him that by now, she was confused and not capable of asking. I was told that if she asked, he would consider it but it was up to her to ask first. The rest of the story doesn't really matter, the whole point is, we have to be proactive, and not just float along. If things don't look like they are improving, ask for more expert help, or at the very least, a better understanding of what is happening and why. I realize I don't have all the info you have and I'm sure you don't know everything your friend knows, but I hope they are not being too passive and allowing things to progress in the wrong direction. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X