If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with being diognosed

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mommyof5 Find out more about mommyof5
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with being diognosed

Ever since I can remember I have had what I have called an irregular heartbeat. It feels like my heart stops then slowly starts again. About two years ago, while pregnant with my son, I finally went to a cardiologist because these episodes seemed to be coming more often than normal. After having an EKG and an ECHO the doctor told me that everything looked normal and not to worry. He told me that I should try to cough when an episode occurred which would make my heart jump start again.

Although my doctor said that it was nothing I can't seem to stop worrying about my heart. Sometimes when my heart does this I feel as though "this is it."

My mom heard of your organization and told me to look into it to see if this disease sounded familiar to me (she too has the same symptoms as I do).

Can anyone give me some advise on what I should do and/or some suggestions on who to see/talk to about this?

Re: help with being diognosed

Dear mommy of 5 ,
    Welcome to our site.
    There are alot of things , tests and things to consider when ruling out or diagnosing a specific heart condition. It is important to have a full history and factual findings and these findings be carefully reviewed. This is certainly something that is causing you some stress which is not good for anyone especially you. I would call my cardiologist and request that he or she explain fully what is the reasoning for holding your breath as in how many people have told you that they have to do that??? I am in no way trying to make silly here I think personally doctors have to give us the facts as simply as it takes for us to comprehend and it is not enough to tell anyone to just "not worry. "
    I had a patient very elderly , who said her doctor told her similar , and without explanation. She spent a life time holding her breath and worsening an already very big anxiety disorder. A friend of similar complaints , was isolated in the ER everytime and given anti-anxiety pills. She was a nurse and her husband was a nurse and an EMT. He would get embarrassed everytime his buddies took her to the ER. They had everyone convinced she was nuts. Well as it turned out she needed a very simple procedure and does not even take beta blockers anymore and she climbs mountains.
    My advise get; pro-active in YOUR health care ,it is not the doctors health care and , there are alot of doctors out there who would and do talk straight . If you are not satisfied with them , get someone new.
    There is a phone number at the bottom of the page to call Lisa Salberg . It would help you to speak with her , she can help direct you and sort through some of the questions.
    Good Luck and let us hear how you do.
    Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Re: help with being diognosed

You said your cardiologist said, "Not to worry." That is something we cannot help but do, when our systems are "out of the norm." Do you have a copy of your Echo? If not, obtain one. If not satisfied with drs. report, get a second opinion. Do you have any other symptoms? Give Lisa a call (number is at the bottom) for a listing of drs. in your area, as you did not say where you are from. Lisa is in the office on Tues. and Thurs. Leave a message if you need to call at another time. She is a very helpful and resourceful person, as we have all come to realize.

Keep us posted! Also a mother of five!
      Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X