If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight Loss, Tight Pants and HCM Symptoms

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss, Tight Pants and HCM Symptoms

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having a great holiday weekend. I had sort of an interesting thing happen to me yesterday, and I wanted to ask if anyone else had noticed anything like this.

I have been losing weight, partially on the advice of my HCM doc. I was not really overweight, but in the last 3 years or so since my son was born and since I had a whole plethora of medical problems, I had put on about 20 - 25 lbs. My HCM doc told me that if I lost the weight, I would feel better, so I decided that I would try, as I would also like to fit into my clothes. I have so far lost about 13 lbs. on Weight Watchers. I have to tell you that I do feel much better. I am much less out of breath, and I have more exercise capacity. I pass up people walking now, when I used to lag behind. It is fantastic. Anyway, back to my question...

Yesterday I was so excited that I could fit into a pair of my old blue jeans that I wore them, even though they were a little tight across the tummy. After I had a salad for lunch, I became more uncomfortable. Then, I started feeling faint. I really believe that I became faint because my tight pants increased my obstruction. Isn't the aorta somewhere under the tummy being squeezed by the tight jeans? Anyway, I undid a few buttons on my jeans, and I felt much better. I think I won't wear them again until I lose a few more pounds...either that, or I won't eat while wearing them.

Any thoughts?
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Re: Weight Loss, Tight Pants and HCM Symptoms

Cynaburst..
    I'm not certain where the aorta lies, but there were times when I would try to fit into a tight pair of pants and felt like the pressure went up to my throat (ya, I know that sounds weird, but I swear I could feel that tightness in my throat!)..so that is possible to feel that way
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Ladies

I do the same thing, the glands in my neck hurt but it doesn't help i have alot of fluid on my belly so my weight changes daily, today my stomach looks like i'm 6 months pregnant and if i put on a pair of tight anything i would blow up and not be able to breath very well, but you know i've done that for years, but i never could stand it and had to take them off so i never got to the point of wanting to faint, but i probably would have if i had left them on

So these days i go for elastic in the waist

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hey Ladies,

I know i'm a guy and all, but i swear that sometimes when i'm retaining fluid, i feel like i'm six months pregnant too! In actuality, i really wish i were six months pregnant... as i'd make millions on the talk-show circuit.

I think your aorta is a bit too high to be squeezed by tight pants Cynthia, but nonetheless i get the same symptoms as you have expressed when i happen to feel daring and wear an older pair of jeans. I think it may have more to do with your stomach and breathing than anything directly related to the heart, but it all works out the same in the end.

My ultimate weight-loss goal is to fit into a pair of jeans i once wore in college... and i've actually saved the darn things, too. The biggest problem of course isn't going to be losing the weight... the problem is going to be with my constantly getting beat-up over wearing a pair of twenty year-old Jordache designer jeans! LoL.

Glad to hear the weight-loss is going so well for you Cynthia. When you get a chance, drop me a line at my email and let me know what has worked the best for you. I need to drop some pounds before i do this happy-dance for next year's HCMA conference. Reenie seems to be under the impression that i'm going to do it Tom Cruise style, but i don't recall making any such promise. At least that's the story i'm sticking to.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
          I need to drop some pounds before i do this happy-dance for next year's HCMA conference. Reenie seems to be under the impression that i'm going to do it Tom Cruise style, but i don't recall making any such promise. At least that's the story i'm sticking to.

Jim
          Hey, he needed some inspiration!

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey everyone I got some time here but I think I will stay mostly out of any tight pants mine, yours, or anyone elses for that matter. I'll just comment that perhaps the tight pants act like a giant pair of ted stockings that are joined at , well you know where they are joined they're your pants. These big Teds in turn compress the femoral arteries and force the blood to be , if your sitting trapped half in your lower body and half in your upper body thereby restricting the flow and volume back to the heart= symptoms reported. If you're standing folks , well you still have like a big tourniquet around your waist. My personal advise, stay out of tight pants.
            Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X