If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisdom Teeth

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisdom Teeth

I was just wondering how many of you have had their wisdom teeth removed? If so is the gas recommended or IV sedation? Any insight would help greatly

Thank you
    Bryan

Re: Wisdom Teeth

That is a tough one Bryan. You will get different answers. I had 2 out in the old days impacted and i was done surgically ;out cold in the hospital. I was 16.
    When i was in my 20's the other 2 which had come, in were starting to decay. They were pulled under local novacaine injection in the dentist office. OUCH
    I say personally run this by DR. Maron your cardiologist. He should make this call, as it is really a medical concern.
    Let us know what is reccommended as others and I would like to know. Take Care,
    Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Bryan,
      I’m seventy-two years old now, and don’t remember where I had my first two wisdom teeth out, but I distinctly remember the last two, which were impacted. It was done in a tent in Korea, and the dentist used a foot pedal driven drill. Some of the roots were twisted and it was a rather nasty situation – a real mell of a hess.

I was very lucky however in that the dentist was an artist. He removed both the upper and lower teeth on the same side under archaic conditions, using only Novocain. After the procedure I had to bite on a roll of gauze for a few hours to close the vacancies and staunch the (slight) bleeding. I was given a couple of packets of Tylenol if needed for the pain when the Novocain wore off, but I only needed one packet.

The thing is, it really doesn’t matter what method the dentist prefers to use. What matters is the skill of the dentist. I would check with the dentist and my cardiologist to make sure the choice of anesthesia the dentist uses is compatible with my drugs and condition, but aside from that, it’s all in the hands of the dentist – literally.

Good luck, and to quote Shakespeare, “If it were done when ‘tis done, then ‘twere well it were done quickly.”
      Burt

Comment

Pam & Burt,
        Thanks for the replys. Ill give Dr Maron a call and let you know what he says.

Comment

I am glad you put a call in. Look forward to hearing his reccomendation for you
          Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Ooops,
            I guess I forgot – at least for the moment. Get a prescription for Amoxicillin – probably around twelve 500 mg capsules. (There so cheap, I don’t think it pays to buy less.) Take four capsules an hour before you open your mouth for the dentist – each and every time.

Check with your cardio about pre-medicating. I’m sure he not only will agree, he’ll write the script.
            Burt

Comment

I premed for dental appts and don't have HCM, but I had the IV sedation with IV antibiotics. You might want to discuss that with your dentist.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I had some pulled many years ago and just had a double dose of novacaine...don't remember it hurting after too much. I had an abcessed tooth pulled a few years ago and just gave me novacaine...it was out before I knew it! P.S. I took amoxicillan before the procedure and I believe for a few days after
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Yeah Cynthia,
                  The old rules were to take 2,000 mg an hour before the procedure and 2,000 a day for the next two days. This changed a few years ago to just 2,000 mg an hour prior. They found out that the one dose supplied all the protection needed.

So hear we are, walking around without any wisdom - - - teeth that is. I guess the name dates back to when life expectancy was much shorter, and these teeth didn’t appear until late in life – like wisdom. Hmm – Why don’t they call baldness wisdom hair? – or even better, wisdom scalp?
                  Burt

Comment

The key is having a great oral surgeon. Mine rocked (he's in Chicago).

I had three wisdom teeth pulled, none impacted --they were, however, sideways! The forth tooth--didn't exist. Yeah, weird.

Anyway, they gave me nitrous oxide (FUN) and didn't have any problems. I never felt a thing till later at home when it started to wear off.

Yes, lots of amoxicillin, too.

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X