If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difficulty talking, confusion & disorientation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Brown Team Find out more about Brown Team
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulty talking, confusion & disorientation

Hi all!

Another question ...

Yesterday my husband had a really bad day - he felt absolutely horrible and was absolutely exhausted ...

Sunday I started to notice that this was coming - he was starting to appear as though he was confused and disoriented ...

Then yesterday while he was at work, he had a really rough day, was completely wiped out - and was having problems talking, he said his words would come out backwards, and that he was having problems thinking and organizing (which he is always fabulous at - great multi-tasker) ...

And he becomes almost disoriented and confused ... and combined with his facial expressions and stuff, he reminds me of people and situations that I know of who are managing alzheimers ... not the regression in time, just the confusion and disorientation ...

Does anyone have any insight? Does this happen to anyone else? Any idea why this happens and what is happening?

Thank you!!!
    \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Re: difficulty talking, confusion & disorientation

I can not remember has he gone to Tufts yet? If so I would give a call to Dr. Maron and report this symptom to him.If his appoinment is coming I would still give a call.
    I can only say that before my myectomy I did a lot of things in reverse and sometimes my kids said I had my own language that no one knew. I think that sometimes enough o2 and nutrients in circulation do not get through , my feelings ,since things are much better after myectomy.I have not invented any new languages either. LOL.
    Good luck and keep us informed. Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Pam ...

Thanks for getting back to me ...

Yes, he has already had his appointment at Tufts ...

We gave a call last week, because they were supposed to evaluate and update meds, and he was starting to feel yucky last week ... but we haven't gotten a call back yet?

Great thought on giving the Doc a call ~ I gave my husband Dr. Maron's pager number and asked him to page him today and update him on what is happening ... if he doesn't call him within a few, then I'll call myself ...

Thank you
      \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

Brown Team,
        I dont know if you have Dr Marons direct pager number, but maybe you should also give Celest a call also. Shes great at giving Dr Maron his messages. I spoke with Dr Maron last night. I called him on Friday and he got back to me yesterday. Hes been very busy he said. Hes been going between two hospitals in Boston. I hope you and your husband can get some answers.

Bryan

Comment

Hi,
          If it were me, I would head to the emergency room asap. His symptoms could be from a stroke, which, while not a central part of HCM, can occur as the result of afib or various other possibilities. Why wait to find out. Strokes need immediate treatment. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain from going, if you ask me.
          Meanwhile, we'll be praying that all is well.
          Rhoda

Comment

hi there ...

bryan, yes we do have dr. maron's direct pager number ... we spoke with celest last thursday and hadn't heard back yet, that is why we were going to try paging him ...

rhoda, first off, thanks for the prayers! so important! and secondly, i'll give my husband a call and see how he is feeling, and make the suggestion to go get checked out ...

thanks for the comments!!! greatly appreciated!

Comment

Hi. First thing I thought was stroke too. Praying it isn't but please go to the ER to be sure.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

hi all ... thanks again for your continueing prayers, thoughts and comments!!!

update!

of course called lisa! she is great!!!

my husband spoke with marty ... and then with lisa suggestion, i too called him to update him on a few more things that came out during my phone conversation with lisa ...

so marty is in control (dr. maron from tufts for those that don't know him as marty yet) ... great doctor! he is going to be arranging appointments for my husband ... he does not think that (nor does lisa think that) what is happening with my husband is a direct affect or (if i remember correctly) having anything to do with warren's hcm - they think it is something else ...

i will continue to keep all of you updated! i can't tell you how much it means to know that all of you are out there caring! thank you!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X