If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

curious - pets and info ids ...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Brown Team Find out more about Brown Team
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious - pets and info ids ...

Good Day Everyone!

Hope everyone is having wonderful days enjoying this beautiful weather !

This is a 2 parter ...

1. pets ... how many of you have pets? and do you think this has helped? I know animals have been proven to help maintain and improve health, including heart health ... and pets have been proven to lower heart rates, which I would think is good for HCM patients ... does anyone have a service dog or a therapy dog? and how many of you with pets think that your pets act and react to how you are feeling and what do they do? i used to get very bad sinus headaches, and i had a dog that used to act funny before a headache come on, and the she used to lay down with me and lay her head on my forehead until my headache went away - she was such a good girl!

2. medical ids ... does anyone wear them? what do you guys think are pros and cons for these? i would think that with a condition, that having a medical id in case of emergency would help?

Thank you for all of your help!
    \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Re: curious - pets and info ids ...

I think pets are great. I believe they can sense when something is wrong. I have a 6 year old Pug. He is a bigger couch potato than I am. . Seriously when I was pregnant he was extra protective of me and treated my son like "one of the pack" from the time we brought him home. When my mother had congestive heart failure I remember sitting there holding the phone not knowing what to say after hanging up. The next thing I knew I was recieving a great big pug hug. I never called him, never said a word. He just knew I needed him. I think pets are huge blessings. I dont know if they would help our condition, but I believe they can make our time here more special.

As far as ID goes. (You are talking about bracelet or similar?) I dont have one. I am still kind of new to HCM so I havent got that far yet. I do believe if I decide to get an ICD I would want an ID saying so.
    2.6 Septal Measurement
    ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
    "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
    ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

Excellent comments and insights.
      My littlle Lhasa apso:Hanah , looked for me and looked for me while i was away at the hospital . I had my surgery & was a way 1 week. My kids said she looked everywhere and she would whine. When I came home there was no holding her back , she is always there for me . I think she remembers the day the neighbors went away and abandonned her , we rescued her. She was 4 months old and had heart worm. She has since wormed her way deep into my heart.. She shows her indebtedness dailly. Before i seem to know i am having a bad time , weather it be physical or emotional , she starts watching me close looking lomgingly into my face and won't sleep or eat unless we are together. So yes i agree
      As far as a id i have medic alert and am very satisfied.
      Hope this helps.
      Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi
        1. We have a little Yorkiepoo (Tigger) and he definately knows when one of us are not feeling well. He will follow the ill person where ever he/she goes. The last time I was in the hospital, he wouldn't eat for 2 days. Finally my hubby bribed him by giving him a special treat. When my hubby would call me at the hospital, he would put the phone so that Tigger could hear my voice. My hubby said he looked for me.
        2. I think wearing a medical i.d. is a great idea. I prefer the braclet. A few times when I was driving, I had to pull along side the road and was unable to communicate. It gives emergency personel or just a passerby information when you can't.
        Take care
        Esther

Comment

Hi I have 3 great cats Boxer (black 4 white feet) Sheba (short hair tortoise shell) and Jupiter (long hair tortoise shell) They are part of the family, when I first got home from surgery, they would always lay by my feet now they take turns sitting in my lap or sleeping beside me Sheba and Jupiter are female and can get a bit jealous of each other but other than that they are a great part of my comfort zone. I got a medical ID braclet over a yr ago with my name Medtronic ICD and my allergies listed. I feel better knowing its there. I purchased it online but you can always check with local jewelers too. I feel that they are very good to have I also carry a card in my wallet with all my info and my cellphone list my husband along with the word husband beside it so they know who he is and can reach him
          Lana

Comment

thank you for all the info!!!

i have always been a huge dog fan! and i've always enjoyed (and i think they have to) - enjoyed training my pets to do different things ...

i know dogs can be used for many things - including seizure alerts, etc ...

knowing how they can help the heart, (and well also, then the family can stick to a regular walking routine to maintain health) ... i'm curious to see if i can train a dog to alert when my husband isn't feeling good, and then also for those times that he has his episodes and passes out, then the dog can alert someone of that too ...

i've talked with many breeders and trainers - so i wanted to get some insight from some of you - so thank you!

i would think an medic alert id would just be helpful, to save a few minutes (at least), so that when they see that EKG they don't into overload, but can understand what is going on instead ...

thanks again!
            \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

We had dogs when the kids lived home, but now that it is just the two of us, dogs would seriously slow us down. I can’t walk well enough to take care of their needs, and my wife gets no forewarning when she has a seizure. We also are out a lot, so it would be unkind to keep a pet now.

In regard to the ID bracelet, my wife and I wear stainless steel types, which I bought over the internet. We don’t bother posting our medical information to that company though, as our drug regimen, and other information changes much too often. Instead we use another method. My bracelet says, Diabetic, Cardiac, Renal, Hyperlipidemic, and See Wallet. In my wallet I have folded computer printouts of my and my wife’s current drugs, all my diagnoses and hospital stays – and why. They are marked ‘Medical’ where it can be easily seen, along with a list of phone numbers for my wife and I along with all the numbers for our kids – Home, work, and cell.

Hope this is of help.
              Burt

Comment

Hi Burt

Thanks for the info ...

I guess my confusion regarding the medical id bracelets comes in that the doctor said he didn't see a need for it, yet it seems to make a lot of sense ... I mean if we were ever in a car crash and we were injured, when they hooked Warren up and saw his "colorful" EKG, they'd do and focus on that instead of the injuries from the crash ...

Am I making something out of nothing? Should I get him one?

I still get pretty worked up and want to do everything I can to make sure my husband life is as "normal" as possible ... I don't do too good with sitting still and watch things go by (so to speak)

And the dog thing - well, our precious ones are 2 (her birthday is Wednesday) and 9 months ~ and oh, how they love dogs ~ and our last dog we had to put to sleep almost 2 years ago, and I really miss having one ... so being able to train it for some neat stuff, and help my husband's health, well, that really excites me!

thanks again for all the help!

Comment

There is lots of evidence that pets are good for you --as long as you aren't allergic to them.

As for a Medic Alert, you will need to balance peace of mind with your desire for "normal" as people will ask what the bracelet is for.

If you go that way, I recommend www.medicalert.org. They are the original and do a great job. They have nurses to help you figure out what the bracelet should say.

Take care,

S

Comment

yes, allergies are something we are being cautious about - cats are a definite no (my husband and son puff up), but there appears to be no reaction to dogs - and we are looking into a one of the single coated real hair dogs ...

thank you for the web link for the ids ... i think if my husband gets one, we'd get him the medal that hangs - his grandmother had given him one that he wore until recently when it broke ... plus that is something that is a little less obvious than the bracelets ...

thank you!

Comment

We don't have cats or dogs but have a couple of fish and a couple of hamsters. My daughter is highly allergic to cats and dogs. I'm not sure pets would help around my house anyway. LOL With 3 kids, we don't need anything else to look after.

My husband has the medicalert bracelet. It's siver with some gold in the emblem. It's not obvious what it is but has good information on it. I would maybe ask the EMT's if they look for bracelets or necklaces more frequently? I don't know if one is better than the other on that front. I thought my husband would never wear ANY jewelry but he's gotten used to his, thank goodness.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

MEd ID - YES YES YES - State clearly Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and your meds.

Pets - Yes there is proof that pets help health. I have had dogs most of my life - however in the past few years cats fit my lifestyle better - we have Shana - the old lady and Mr. Shakes the little brat!

Best wishes,
                        Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I also have 2 cats, Tito and Oreo and I know that they help me relax and they know when I feel bad. I have even been told when I was last in the hospital how they greive and refused to leave my side upon coming home. Matter of fact here in Ohio I have heard that renters cant be told they can't have pets when there is a medical reason to have them, I have a prescription for my cats!
                          Jen

Comment

We have two dogs, a cairn terrior Sparky and a golden retriever Snickers. They are wonderful. My daughter (Krista, HCM) is a huge dog lover. If she had her way, we'd have 2 or 3 more. They help keep us company and are just such loving creatures. They don't care if you have had a bad day, they just want you to pet them and love them.

As far as the id bracelets. My kids both wear them. I argue with my daughter (now 13) all the time. She really doesn't want to wear it, but I keep reminding her how important it is especially if I am not with her. She takes coumadin for her mitral valve replacement. That alone would be a big reason to have an ID bracelet. My son has medicine allergies as well as the HCM so I have that listed on his ID bracelet too. He doesn't have any problem wearing his bracelet though, hmmm must be the teenage difference??
                            Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
                            Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
                            Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about the medical ID's, I have one that I rarely wear unless I'm out and about, it just states that I am heart patient and I think the list of medical problems and meds are a list about a mile long, so I carry all my info with my medical card. My daughter (still being watched closely, because of our family history of sd) does wear a bracelet to school and has a defibrillator at school even knowing her dx isn't for sure yet. ( she does have a slightly abnormal ekg) I am going to a local jeweler and having her a gold ID alert bracelet made for her, cause I figure if she's gotta wear that for the rest of her life then it should be beautiful and serve it's perpose.
                              Jen

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X