If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AED's in schools

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

goldenbo Find out more about goldenbo
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AED's in schools

Training is definitely part of the protocol when AED's are implemented in any location: airport, business, city buildings and yes where educators reside - schools. Just because the AED is purchased does not mean that they are ready for use...training, awareness, education and involvement of the entire community is part of the protocol.

If we look at fire extinquishers as a good example of the steps required. Not everyone knows how to use a fire extinquisher, or would have the slightest idea of the over all process. There are many models on the market, too. But we are aware of their existance, their purpose and that one is needed if we smell smoke or see a fire. They were build with the lay person in mind - simple instructions and little effort required to operate.

AED's have been built that way too. There are many models on the market. They too are improved upon as time goes on. According to several brands, "simple enough for an 8 year old to use without formal training." It's not to say that an 8 year old is expected to use an AED, but in desperate times, we would hope for the better out come.

I am happy to hear about the AED's in Newark! What a great move on the districts part to prevent Sudden Cardiac Death in their hallway's, play grounds and at all their events. I wait to hear of their saves!

Sharon

Comment

DITTO to what Sharon said!
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

No - you're not a worry wart - you are a realist... That is absolutely horrible about the girl you mention.

You asked about the doc I mentioned in my previous post. In this case, the physician they are using is an board certified emergency medicine physician - employed by two major hospitals as a pediatric ER doc. I do not know if she has ever actually used an AED - AEDs are not used in most ERs. Defibillators in the ERs are not automated. However, she is also a certified instructor for many emergency courses.

In this particular case, she is more than qualified. However, your point is a good one... I believe any physician who is put into that position should be qualified by training to be in that position in the first place.

What you describe happening at the pool should never have happened. The AED is designed to be user-friendly - voice prompts, pictures, etc. It sounds like there was a chain of panicked responses.... incredibly tragic...

It seems like NJ's laws (and perhaps every other state, but I'm just beginning to become familiar with NJ) address the training of staff who might have to use it. There seems to be an accountability factor that is designed to eliminate tragedies.

I hope I didn't ramble too much...

Karen

Comment

Anyone out there looking to buy AED's need to look at two web sites. One is MomsTeam.com with Brooke de Lench and the other is Teams of Angels. There is a nationwide campaign called (and I might be only close to the actual name of the campaign)=="Save a Child's Life---An AED for Every Sport". They are getting excellent prices through Defibtech on a defibrillator when purchased for a school system. Get in touch with Brooke de Lench at Moms Team and she will be glad to help you. Also, Sharon, Fed Ex came by today, we weren't home, and they wouldn't leave the AED. Mom will wait all day for it tomorrow. Thank you so much. I have been able to buy 11, yours will make 12----and to think that my goal was only 6. I've been able to double my efforts and I'm not stopping there. We are working next to get something on the local hospital show and a local radio show. Now we just have to get teachers, custodians, coaches, etc. trained and we will be all set. Praying we never have to use one of them!! I'll keep everyone informed as I have more to report. Thanks for evrything, all of you.
          Cynthia

Comment

Hi everyone, I received an email from Brooke deLench from MomsTeam. She ask me to remind everyone to go to www.momsteam.com and read the article about the campaign called, "Save a child's life--an AED for every team." The campaign is explained and what you can do to purchase AED's. She ask me to let you know that MomsTeam.com has a Defibtech distributorship, much like someone would have a Jeep distributionship. MomsTeam buys the AED's at cost and is free to mark them up if they choose to do so. In order to make them available to more people, they sell the AED's for "cost" plus a small fee for shipping and handling. There are grants you can apply for. Please go the website and you will be guided through the process. Again, the site is http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/press/..._message.shtml.

Thanks,

Cynthia P.

Comment

Great info Cynthia, Thanks for all you do. You are making a difference in a very big way.

Best to you .
              Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thank you so much Cynthia for your tip on MomsTeam.com. You are so right--they are amazing and it is very obvious to me that they are more interested in getting these AEDs out to all the schools and sports teams than taking a profit.

The now (Dec. 1) have a HUGE group buying offer for only $999. for the really neat (I now have them in my schools and they are really neat). The sale saved me about $600 each.

Georgie Brewster, RN
                Georgina Brewster, RN
                Duluth, MN

Comment

Dear Georgie,
                  While your message is important, and I can readily understand your enthusiasm, I can see that you are not a regular visitor to our boards. Hopefully, once you see how closely our interests lie, you will become a constant reader and contributor to the site. You are absolutely welcome here.

I do have one request though. Our Cynthia P. (AngelAlie27) had told us all about her meeting with Brooke deLench from MomsTeam.com and the wonderful discount they offer on AED’s, back in October. Your comment on that thread was quite appropriate, but frankly to repeat yourself a total of six times was a bit over the top. Once would have been quite sufficient, since almost to a member we read all the posts – and although some choose not to comment, they do gather information and support from the postings.

By all means please continue to read and offer comments to our board, but try to control your enthusiasm to one post of the information you wish to present.

Thanks, and I hope you become a regular here. You obviously have a lot to offer.
                  Burt

Comment

Georgie,

Thanks for your recent posts. I see you have met Burt.

Your contributions are appreciated and welcomed. Thank you for the information on the link. It is unfortunate that members of our community have run into some problems with the organization you have mentioned. It is our hope that they will honor the agreements made in the past and we can all move forward.

Best wishes,
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hello Lisa, (and Burt)

You have a marvelous site!!! (and I can not get over those little faces). I found you a few weeks ago after student lost his dad to HCM. I did a search and you came up. I should have found you two years ago when we had two children in our district (within 3 months) die from heart situations while playing sports. The first place that we turned was the internet and way back in 2002 we found the MomsTeam site and found it to be wonderful.

Then tragedy struck this fall-this time a dad of a sophomore wrestler (HCM). His team mates pooled their money to put an AED in the school in his name. They asked me to help. I went back on line ( to your site and google)and noticed that the MomsTeam group is doing a group buy. I spoke to Christina Langford on the desk and she said that the founders made the decision to sell them for about $5 over just to get them out to the schools. She said it is not their main business so they don't need to profit from the sales. I could not complain. I put the order in last week and got them yesterday--I guess I feel like a little kid (funny I am 62) at Christamas--we saved a bundle and I felt like all of you might want to know. I did not know where I needed to put my story so I put it where I thought it could be seen.

By the by, if it helps at all-I have learned from my years in the medical field (25 in the ER of a local hospital-20 here as a school RN) that there are some very good people out there--sometimes the ones who do the best are the ones who get dumped on the most and the skeptics try to tarnish them. Christina did say that the company had recently changed their policy -instead of charging more and making donations directly to a few small groups of charities they found it was more helpful to give the deeper discounts to everyone--that way there would be no hurt feelings and jealousies from some of the charities who were looking for money without helping.

I will check in often and will make sure that my nursing jouranals know all about the good community of folks you have.

Keep up the great work,

Georgie
                      Georgina Brewster, RN
                      Duluth, MN

Comment

Hi Georgie,
                        It’s good to see you took my post in the friendly way it was intended, and are continuing to post to the site. I’m sure you have much to offer us here.

I’m quite encouraged hearing about all the AED’s being placed in the schools particularly, plus all the other sites around town. But on the other hand I am also concerned that the devise will sit unused while someone dies. We have had such reports here from time to time.

Recently there was the case reported of a sixteen year old girl that collapsed and died at a pool that had two AED’s on the property, plus a tech that was supposedly trained in its use. About eight minutes later the emergency vehicle arrived with a staff of techs on board, but unfortunately they didn’t spring into action until the girl was beyond saving. A member who is a volunteer EMT told us that the staff in her town gets very little training in the use of AED’s – and I’m afraid it is rather a pervasive problem.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a training class at the beginning of each semester on the use of AED’s - by all the athletes at least, - but hopefully the entire gym class. That way, if someone freezes in an emergency there would be a lot of other students around who would know what to do and how to do it. I think that would go a long way in maximizing the potential of saving lives – the bottom line of this whole exercise.

Having been an RN for so long and a school nurse for the past twenty years, I would be very interested in hearing your views on this subject. (By the way, I’ve got you by a decade.) Well my new found friend, have a very happy holiday season, and I hope to hear from you soon.
                        Burt

Comment

Hi Burt,

I've been a pediatric nurse for 20 years. I purchased an AED for our home after my husband was diagnosed with HCM and my kids became at risk.

I strongly "encouraged" my son's high school to purchase an AED. They purchased two about 4-5 weeks ago. I received an e-mail today stating they had just placed an order for the third - this one to travel with the athletic teams.

However, I have worried about the exact point you make. I know my son's soccer coach is medically trained. He is certified in BLS, ACLS, PALS, etc., and has to pass competencies for his job as head of radiology at a local hospital. But, he's only one of several coaches, and only one of many staff. The staff have all undergone training.

I completely love your idea. Not only is it great for the potential life-saving efforts, it is just a great tool to teach kids! I am going to pass along your idea to my son's school.

Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Dear Goldenbo,
                            Somewhere in the Jewish teachings it is written that if you save one life it is as if you saved the whole world. A number of years ago I had the good fortune, along with my brother-in-law to save a woman from drowning in the Potomac River. I have never gotten over how fortunate an experience that was, and best of all, we escaped without anyone finding out who we were - one of the higher forms of giving.

I also think of the play quite a number of years ago called, “A Majority of One” not so much for the story line but for its meaning. One person can make a world of difference if they work at it hard enough. If you present the idea to the school board they may or may not accept it, but if they do not, don’t give up. You can enlist the aid of religious leaders, gym teachers (they do not want students dropping dead on them), parents, students, doctors, cardiologists, nurses, EMT’s (Emergency Medical Technicians), hospitals, etc. etc.

Be a Majority of One. Remember, if you save one life it is as if you have saved the whole world. I can tell you from experience, the joy of the deed lasts a lifetime. Wouldn’t it be a wonderful thing if there were thousands of you out there making sure that every life that can be saved - is saved? I think you have chosen a wonderful thing to do – especially during this holiday season. I wish you much joy and happiness.
                            Burt

Comment

Thanks, Burt. I wish you a wonderful holiday season as well.

Comment

Hi Burt,

Do you have any information on the drowning incident you referred to? I would like to submit that along with my request that the school train students, all staff, coaches, etc. in the proper use of an AED.

Thank you!

Karen

Comment

Working...
                                X