If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AED's in schools

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

goldenbo Find out more about goldenbo
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AED's in schools

Does anyone know of a website that provides the necessary "encouragment" for high school administrators to see the need for AED's in their schools?

I would like to present a packet of articles as well as the kit for the schools.

Thank you to anyone who can help in this area.

Karen Beggs

Re: AED's in schools

I don't know but I bet Sharon Bates can help. Where do you live?

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thank you, Reenie,

I live in Bergen County, NJ. However, contacting Sharon through e-mail would also be fine. Do you know how I would get in touch with her?

Thank you,
      Karen

Comment

Sure. Her email is [email protected].

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Karen, I have just received 10 AED's for the schools in the county in which I live. Because of HCM in my family, I chose to focus on Sudden Death in Student Athletes for my Senior project. I raised $13,200.00 to purchase the AED's. Several sites I used were: 1. Anthony Bates Foundation; 2. MomsTeams.com, (Brooke de Lench was helpful in getting the AED's through Defibtech); 3. Gregory W. Moyer Defibrillation Fund; 4. The Chad Foundation for Athletes and Artists; and 5. this site with Lisa Salberg. There is some interesting articles and statistics on any of these sites for you to use. Good Luck!!

Cynthia Patterson

Comment

Great job, Cynthia! Once again I take my hat off to you! Today I mailed you a new AED and carrying case! It's just one, but it may be the one that will be used to save a young boy or girl. It gets me all excited when I think of the great work we are all doing through our contacts at HCMA! Thank you Lisa for having the vision to build such a support system. We are (I am) so very grateful for everything you unselfishly do for all of us.

Hello Karen,
            I hope I can help you get AED's in your area schools, too. Interesting topic for me. Tomorrow I will be meeting with the superintendent of one of the Phoenix area school districts. We will be discussing heart screenings for the young people in high school and how to go about future funding for more AED's in their schools.

Please get in touch with me on the message board or through email or pm's. We can open up more conversations (threads) to this subject. There is a lot of support here on ways to help you (or anyone) make some progress and take action on AED's in our schools. When we work together, the mountains will move and the miracles will occur!

It's going to be a new day for all of us!
            Blessings,
            Sharon

Comment

http://www.early-defib.org/

They have tons of information!

PROMPT DEFIB is many times the ONLY chance to save an HCM pt. I want them to be as common as fire exstiguishers!!!!

Keep up the fight!

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cynthia, I'm sorry I didn't think of you sooner. Thanks for answering.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Thank you to all of you. I was able to "push" the school the tiny bit it needed for them to agree to purchase AED's for my son's school. There were many in the position of authority who were already convinced they were necessary, so it made it just that much easier.

I am going to visit all the websites you mentioned. I apologize for the delay in posting as I've been working long hours for the last 3 days. This is the first time I've been able to get online.

Cynthia, I met you at the conference and appreciate your insight. You are an amazing young woman.

Sharon - I will be e-mailing you as soon as possible.

Besides my work commitment, my computer is acting up big time, and I can't consistently get online.

Take care all,
                  Karen

Comment

All over the news today!! Newark NJ school system will add about 150 AED's for the new school year!!!

YEH NEWARK - Way to GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yeah Lisa,
                      That’s great news – 150 AED’s – absolutely marvelous. But do they have three people who know how and when to use those 150 machines? I still remember that poor young girl dieing at the pool while all the tech’s fumbled around. Those 150 AED’s are a wonderful step forward, but it’s just so much hardware if there isn’t sufficient staff fully trained in the how and when to use it.

Sorry to be throwing ice water on such a warm subject but without all the pieces, people still die. Call me a curmudgeon if you wish, but I can’t ignore the basic concept that we are trying to save lives – not just collect hardware. We need the whole package.
                      Burt

Comment

Burt, I'm sure that nobody will overlook the fact that they need trained personnel to use these machines. Baby steps.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

I believe the schools are required to follow a specific protocol - doctor's supervision, training of staff, etc. One of the docs where I work is the overseeing physician for her town's AEDs.

Comment

From your mouths to G-d’s ear. I truly hope that every unit has a trained staff behind it. If you recall, the pool at which that girl died had a ‘trained’ tech right there, and eight minutes later an ambulance arrived with more EMT’s on board – and yet I believe seventeen or eighteen minutes passed before the unit was first used. Things just have to be better then that. I would prefer those units were never needed, but in the event one is, it is needed desperately, and the tech must respond rapidly and properly. That requires more then a lecture and the reading of a book for most people. You say the units will be under the supervision of a doctor – I wonder how many times that overseeing physician has used an AED himself, and how well he can pass along the needed expertise.

I’m sure many people have fought long and hard to get these units in the first place. We can’t now afford to have the support personnel be half fast in their use. Lives are at stake here. Remember Mary’s comments about how little training the EMT’s in her area got in the use of AED’s? I guess I’m just a worrywart. Please forgive me my concerns.
                            Burt

Comment

Burt, you have a valid concern. However, if we never get the AED's out there, how will anyone ever become comfortable and proficient with them? Consider how many different models there are now. Who knows for sure when they train on one model that it will be the model they have to use in their real life area? The more we see them, the more they will be talked about, the more they will be recognized when seen in their place of storage, etc. The ground rules are pretty well in place before the equipment is placed, - who responds, within what time frame, training, etc. It's true that the first time user will likely not be as adept as the person who's done it 100 times, but then, didn't we all have our first time as a new driver, or any other piece of equipment or technology. We'll get there, one step at a time. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X