If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certain foods

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ad Find out more about Ad
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain foods

Hi,

Is anybody getting heart beats or arrythmia from certain foods or drinks?

My heart reacts strongly to dairy products like milk, butter, cheese and so forth. Some others having similar experiences? Usually, after one of these, things go bumpy in less than 30 minutes. Only a liberal amount of beta blocker (best medicine since penicilline :P brings peace back.

Ad.
    \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Re: Certain foods

Yes, certain foods do set me off as well, not the ones you mention.
    Alcohol and for some reason peanuts do it for me.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Comment

Absolutely!

For me, it's chocolate, especially in the afternoon... cheese... yep...fatty foods... sweets... Dots...licorice...Cheez It's, for some odd reason (at any time of the day)...I've tried virgin margaritas, or even slushies that are similar (bad idea)...

Actually, it's downright tiresome! Too many things I've learned that bother me.

Interesting topic. I've asked and asked about it at the Dr. and have been prescribed Nexium because (as I'm told) it's an esophageal problem. I don't thnik so. Plus, the Nexium gives me the runs!

Debbie

Comment

Other than chocolate, I've never had a problem with certain foods and heart discomfort, but then chocolate is full of caffine. The major problem of the past is when I over eat or eat something very "heavy", such as pancakes would put me in my place,then I needed a long ciesta. Here is even a bigger problem for me is when I got a little tired and wanted to take a nap (more so being younger) and if I was woke up to soon like say I didn't sleep for at least 1 hour, then I would wake with more problems than I laid down with, alot of chest pain and weakness following the next few hours. So I learned not to do that no more, when possiable.
        Jen

Comment

Debbie,

I've been given Nexium as well (esophagheal problems, not bad, but hurts sometimes). Maybe some triggering of certain nerves that sends the heart racing? Always things that give a 'full' feeling to me.

Ad.
          \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

The only contribution I can make here is that physiologically speaking , the vagus nerve runs across the diaphram and when a large meal or for that matter anything that distends the abdomen up a bit offers the opportunity to trigger a response from the vagus nerve. You have heard of vasal vagul resonse in which the heart rate and BP respond and sometimes a person faints or has a variation of symptoms: ie, palpitations etc.?
            Additionally ,when food or liquid is added to the stomach there is a demand for increased circulation there to take care or the digestive process thereby shunting a volume of blood away from the heart circulation.Remember how you were told as a kid don't go in the water yet , you just ate? I am not sure all our elders knew the reasoning for the cramps that could occur and the fear that we might drown as a result. The HCM heart is already as we know precarios and compromised in its operation so it is sensitive to things like eating and drinking for us more then the average bear.

Hope this helps. Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

As a teenager in the early 1960's, my family always ate HUGE bowls of Ice cream as desert every single night. When I was about 13, I started to feel weird after eating this stuff, and I started to refuse it. My whole family came down on me big-time for this, punishing me and insulting me. Each time I'd eat it, my heart would speed up and punish me. So I had to pick my poison.

The battle with my family continued until the mid-70's when the country began to dimly realize that gobs of fat and sugar weren't so great for the body. Now that I am 58, I'm TOTALLY lactose intolerant and diabetic to boot. So I hadn't thought that my early reactions to ice cream had anything to do with my heart. I thought it was just a precursor to these problems-----

In any case, I have basically considered ice cream an insult to the body, too big a sudden release of fat and sugar to be good for anyone. I still feel that way----It mistifies me how so many people eat it????

Oh well, I'm an odd duck on many counts and can't expect to really understand others-----

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X