If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more dental questions???????

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jujemendoza2002 Find out more about jujemendoza2002
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more dental questions???????

Hi everybody! Ok, so here we go, today I had a appt, with a oral surgon to see about getting some wisdom teeth taken out and the doc was a concerned jerk, I didn't like him. He said that I didn't have to pull my wisdom teeth after telling me ; "because I am 29yrs he said I run the risk of having nerve damage and losing the feeling in my lower lip,tongue or gums" and I asked him if leaving it in would be bad for my heart with possiabilitys of infection being how I've been biting my inner cheecks. His answer to that was "no" and that other teeth in my mouth that needs filling was what was causing my problem, I don't think so, besides my reg. dentist said that the skin in the back of the mouth is more flabby and biting one's self there is normal with cutting a wisdom and she said that I should get it removed, now I don't know what to do? Because if I'm going to be numb for the rest of my life thats where I draw the line. Besides, He really just acted like he didn't want to deal with a person with my amount problems and my insurance didn't help the cause, plus is it normal to take those teeth out with just a local shot and pre-meds? He was also very rude left doors open, spoken very loudly .
    Jen

Re: more dental questions???????

I would simply suggest a 2nd opinion.

Good Luck!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I had all my wisdom teeth taken out at a young age because I had nerve pain in my mouth and I thought it would help. It didn't make any difference, and later when I lost the next molar, I was not able to have a bridge, since there wasn't any wisdom tooth to anchor it to.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have sacrificed my wisdom teeth.

Don't work with a dentist you don't like. As you may have gathered from reading my post, I ran into bad trouble working with a dentist who is relieving my normal dentist, who was on medical leave. I am currently ready to lose the tooth rather than return to him, which is a bad situation in the middle of a job.

Oh well, I never should have let him start on me.

Live and learn.

Comment

Ok here is the other side - I had jaw pain/headaches and teeth pain nearly all the time - in 1991 they took out the wisdom teeth - and WA-LA no more pain -

UFF DA - Wouldnt it be simple if we were all built the same CORRECT way

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ok, my wisdom teeth are about at least half way in, if not more and I am NOT having any pain in my teeth from it coming in yet, the only trouble I am having is biting myself my cheecks feel sore sometimes, I would rather try to keep it if I can, I just feel so worried that if they take it I will lose my feeling in my lower lips forever. or if I don't I worried about infection or problems down the road from the same tooth but worse. Have any of you had wisdom teeth out at around the age of thirty or have anybody had the perminant numbness or been told the same thing as me?
          Jen

Comment

Julie,
            I had three of my wisdom teeth out in late teens/early twenties. I have one left thats needs to go. My dentist is chomping at the bit to get it out of there. I sometimes have the same problem with sore gums,etc. My wisdom tooth grows in a little further every now and then and cuts my gum on the bottom and the back of my mouth. It drives me crazy but I had so much fun removing the last top wisdom tooth that I am in no hurry to relive the experience. My dentist has never said anything about nerve damage . I am no medical proffessional but people have them out all the time and yours are already half way in. I cant see why you would have that much trouble. You should get a second opinion. Please let me know what you find out. Good luck
            2.6 Septal Measurement
            ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
            "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
            ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

I had both my upper and lower wisdom teeth removed on the left side together, in Korea. I was 22. The dentist was a major from Chicago, working in a tent, and the drill worked by way of a non electric foot pedal – like the old treadle sewing machines. I did get a shot before he started, and a few Tylenol for after. He wound up having to take the teeth out piecemeal, and I had to bite on a wad of gauze for a few hours after the procedure to staunch the bleeding.

This man had hands of gold. The wisdom teeth were impacted, and I have never had so little pain from so much work done at one time in my life. I wish you all just as easy a time of it.
              Burt

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advise and all. Today I was at the dentist office again, I'm getting frequent flyer miles there and anyways I found out on top of all the other problems I need at least 2 root canals and my ins. won't pay for the cap/crown, but they will pay for the root canal, so once again I feel stuck on what to do about that, caps are 800.00 a piece. ok so I will quit venting. My one wisdom tooth has not gone down anymore, I think its here to stay. I guess being my insurance isn't to good, I'll just keep it being it's not hurting and it's not a threat to my heart. I guess there's just something about turning 30 and the nerve just growing closer to the molers nerves.,but I have never heard anything about other ppl losing the sense of feeling even at an older age of this procedure, I just think that doc, seen my ins. and my heart problemos and decided from then that he really didn't want to care for me. oh well, I'll survive
                Jen

Comment

Jen,

After reading your second post, i'm more concerned about the two teeth that require root canals than the wisdom tooth issue. In my experience... by the time a tooth is far gone enough to need a root canal, then there is usually some infection already present as bacteria settles in around the dying nerve. This is what puts pressure on the nerve and causes pain. I don't mean to sound like an alarmist here, but i also don't think you want to leave those teeth untreated for too long.

Since money is an issue (and trust me on this one, i have become the king of 'getting by' on next to nothing)... see if your dentist can perform the root canal but put off the cap/crown for right now. Several years ago i had a tooth that required a root canal, but there was just no way i could afford the 1200 bucks my dentist wanted to do the whole thing properly. Rather than let it go however, he went ahead and drilled out the goop and then re-filled it in such a way that i was able to get by with it for almost two years before finally having the thing capped.

This isn't the kind of thing dentists usually like to do, but the alternative is to simply have the tooth extracted. I wanted to try and save mine, even if it did require some 'bargain basement' dentistry.

Hope everything gets straightened out for you.

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

As for the sensitivity, it is known that the walls around the pulpa (the inner living part of the tooth) gradually thicken, making the tooth less sensitive to outside stimulae (unless it's holed ). As far as root canals are concerned, I'd rather not wait untill it's dead and starts to hurt: by then it's inflamed, and difficult to make the treatment painless.

I've had a couple of root canals on acutely inflamed teeth, and these treatments went without pain (during/after). Also, generally dentists do not recommend putting a cap on a root canalled tooth immediately: prefer to wait at least half a year (sometimes the root canal treatment needs to be repeated).

Nerve damage is always a risk with more advanced dental treatments, specially when wisdom teeth in need of 'dugging out' are involved. Some nerves are running in close proximity to the roots of the teeth, and might be damaged - in rare circumstances this can result in lasting loss of sensitivity or taste.

It's wise for a dentist to calculate the risks and inform the patient. Whether the risks is higher with advanced age I don't know - all my 'wisdom' was removed when I was 16 (so I ended up as ICT consultant ).

Re. Ad.
                    \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

I had my wisdome teeth removed at age 26 and none of them were through the skin. The dentist did tell me that there was a slight possibility that there would be nerve damage, but it was a rarity. I had no problems at all with the procedure and all is well still, almost a decade later. Please get the root canals taken care of first. Then worry about the wisdom teeth since they aren't causing trouble at the moment.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

It’s been over twenty years since I had a root canal done – I’ve had a few – but if I recall correctly, the tooth usually has an abscess sac at the bottom tip of the root. The endodontist uses his instruments to remove the nerve/pulpa - then, threw the tooth, he pierces the abscess so it can drain and heal.

All my root canals were done many years before I was diagnosed with HCM and the question of pre-medication was never raised. Now, either the endodontist pre-medicated me at the very beginning of the procedure as a matter of course, and didn’t bother mentioning it, or I’m one lucky puppy.

Although I was not diagnosed with HCM until the first of this year, I also have another heart condition which was diagnosed back in 1985. On a couple of occasions I did show up at my regular dental appointments when I had forgotten to pre-medicate. The dentist simply gave me the Amoxicillin from a supply he had on hand, and I sat in the waiting room for an hour while he took care of other patients. Now-a-days I’m much more vigilant in taking the pre-meds.

My last root canal was done just before we moved from Long Island, New York to L.A. After the root canal (done by an endodontist) the dentist screwed a post into what little tooth I had left and put a crown on it. This procedure was very quickly thereafter discontinued. The reason was, as it was for me, the pressure of the post being screwed into the tooth often broke the tooth itself. We were in San Antonio Texas when my jaw swelled up so badly it closed my eye. (Hang on folks, here comes another story.)

My wife grabbed the phonebook in our motel room and called a local Rabbi. Instead of the Rabbi she got his wife, to whom she explained our plight. Somehow, somewhere the understanding must have gotten twisted, because this is what happened. The Rabbi’s wife got off the phone after taking our number, and very shortly after that we got a call from a dentist. We got directions to his office, and were told to get there by noon. The dentist would see me during his lunch hour. (Can you imagine? – It gets better.)

About twenty minutes later we get another call from the receptionist saying to come right over as there was a cancellation. The dentist took an x-ray and examined my mouth. He then said the situation was beyond his ability to help, but hold on a minute. While sitting in the chair I heard his side of a conversation with another doctor. He was saying he didn’t care, the doctor was to see me now – the Rebitzen (Rabbi’s wife) said!!! He came back into the room, put the x-ray into one of those little plastic boxes the drills come in, gave it to me, and gave me directions to the other dentist – I thought. When I asked him how much I owed him he said, “Well, I couldn’t help. But I did take an x-ray – would five dollars be OK?”

When I got to the other office I found out that this man was not only a dentist AND a doctor, he specialized in macio-facial reconstructions. (not-sure of spelling.) I thought – Oh boy, this is why the other dentist charged so little – here comes the costs and the kick-backs. (I was a New Yorker after all.)

Well, this doctor had an x-ray machine that flip-flopped around and wound up taking one large picture of my entire mouth. I was then taken into the operating room. The chair flattened into a table, and both the doctor and his assistant worked on me for over twenty-five minutes by the clock. They took the tooth out one little piece at a time. They put in a drain and gave me a prescription for some anti-infection drugs. I was to return the next morning at eight o’clock.

The next day he looked at the site, adjusted the drain, and told me to return again the next morning. At the next visit he was satisfied with the situation. He removed the drain, and said if everything felt fine, the next morning I was free to continue my trip, otherwise to come back and see him at eight again. I thanked him for his great help, and with some trepidation I asked him how much I owed him. He said twenty-five dollars, and I almost feinted on the spot. He and his assistant, plus the use of his operating room and some very expensive equipment came to something less then fifty cents an hour. His charge probably only covered the cost of the x-ray film and supplies.

The moral of the story is that if you’re ever away from home and need help, grab a phone and call your local religious leader. You would be amazed if you knew the connections they had in the community, and their ability to move mountains on your behalf. Don’t forget to get the name of their church or synagogue and the address, so when you return home you can send them an appropriate contribution for their help.
                        Burt

Comment

Jen,

I agree with you, I think the Dentist was not impressed with your Dental Insurance & did not want to deal with your HCM.

I have had LOTS of Dental work done & the majority was done after turning 30, 40, 50 (pick one). I had my Wisdom teeth extracted in my 30's. I've had root canals (I would only see an Endodontist) done throughout my life - I've NEVER had a problem & nerve damage was never mentioned as a risk factor! You can have the root canal done & get the crown at a later date.

Remember to PREMEDICATE (a sore subject-in more ways than one- for some)

I can tell you are someone who Smiles a lot, so the look of your smile is important!
                          RONNIE

Comment

Thanks everyone, I did speak with my cardiologist about my wisdom tooth and decided being it's not hurting me, I'll leave it in, he's said it's no threat to my heart. I have been really confused about the root canal issue, $$$wise and I didn't realize that those teeth was actually infected now? Those teeth are in the very back of my mouth and "really look worse" than they "feel", but I know something needs done soon. I've been seeing my dentist often lately, so I'll ask her more about it then?
                            What can one do to try not to freak out at the dentist office, I'm nervous about these root canals.
                            Jen

Comment

Jen,

The teeth may or may not be infected at this point, but there is always a possibility that this might occur if left untreated. For this reason, you don't want to postpone treatment for too long. The root canal is of special concern to those of us at risk from endocarditis, because the pulp contains the nerves and blood vessels that enter and exit the tooth through the root openings. Therefore an infection of the root canal can spread bacteria directly into the bloodstream. If you or your dentist feels that infection may already be present, then you might want to see about getting onto a course of antibiotics until you can have the procedure done. Be sure to ask her about this during your next visit.

Jim
                              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Working...
                              X