If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

atrial fibrillation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

vtmobile Find out more about vtmobile
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atrial fibrillation

I have been mostly assymptomatic until last week, when out of the blue I went into 18 hours of atrial fibrillation, then spontaneously converted back into a normal rhythm. I'd like to hear from others if this means a big change in my course or could it be just a blip on the road?? Otherwise, I'm feeling great, with a normal stress test and a normal Holter monitor. Thanks
    David in Indianapolis

Re: atrial fibrillation

Hi David,
    About your eighteen hour side track – Well, it might have been just a one time thing, or it may happen from time to time at great intervals, or it might develop into a rather large pain in the butt. AF episodes, once they start, tend to recur more frequently as time goes on – at least that’s what I’ve been reading on these boards.

You might be fine, but maybe you just need an adjustment to your meds. Why not talk it over with your cardio and see what he thinks of it? Good luck.
    Burt

Comment

thanks, let's hope it's not the pain in the butt type.
      David in Indianapolis

Comment

David:

Atrial Fibrilation has been the problem I've been dealing with for nearly 10 years. In the beginning I could almost predict the onset and could very clearly tell when I was in a-fib. The irregular rhythm would always convert to normal rhythm - usually overnight.

I'm now at a point where I can't tell if I'm in a-fib unless I feel for my pulse. Persistent a-fib is not good because of the risk of stroke. When the atria is quivering and not performing as usual, blood in that chamber begins to pool. Clots can form that could be expelled when the heart returns to normal sinus rhythm. I take 5mg of coumadin a day to thin my blood. This keeps my INR level between 2.0 and 3.0.

I now see that a-fib is a consequence of something else - probably HCM, though as explained in my intro post Dr is still not sure.

There are many causes of a-fib. Here is an excellent web site specifically for the condition: http://www.affacts.org/
        • 1995: Brigham & Women’s Hospital - diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation
        • 2004: Falkner Hospital – diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure
        • 2004: Tufts NEMC– diagnosed with “End Stage” Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
        • 2005: Genetic Test – Laboratory for Molecular Medicine. HCM confirmed – missense mutation detected in TNNT2 gene
        • 2009: Brigham & Women’s - Third cardioversion begin Amiodarone for AFib
        • 2011: Brigham & Women’s - Medtronic ICD implant

Comment

You definitely need to discuss the Afib with your Cardio, because of the risk of throwing clots. I think this symptom is like every other - every one is different! I had A Fib x2 in the hospital, once I was cardioverted after 24 hours-I went back into A Fib 5 hours later, but converted myself after 8 hours & Amioderone.
          I also periodically go into V Tach.
          Tell your Dr to be safe
          RONNIE

Comment

thanks all, I'm on coumadin and "I find your comments supportive. Life goes on.
            David in Indianapolis

Comment

Dear David

I'm very glad you are on coumadin! The fact that you converted on your own is a very good sign.

Think about what was going on before the afib started to see if there were any triggers like chocolate, caffiene, alcohol, cigarette smoke, even a super cold drink or a heavy meal can cause palpitations in some people.

Everyone with HCM is very different. No one can really say this means you are getting worse. However, you should see about taking more or a stronger medication so it doesn't happen again.

take care,

s

Comment

For me the atrail fib. started kinda suddenly, but I had it for a few hours the first time and converted like that and was released from the hospital and so far as time has passed for the first year I had "had another spell" about every six months and getting a little worser and closer together with periods in between feeling normal, after like close to 1 1/2 yrs it had gotten to the point that I had rapid atrail fib and I had a little trouble converting and I been treated with anti arrithmic drugs and couminden and really haven't had many more periods to where I stayed in atrail fib for long periods of time, other than a few messed up beats here and a couple there I guess I feel ok.
                Jen

Comment

Hi David,

I went into A-fib two weeks ago and still in it. I don't like it but such is a ride in life.

Great support from people here. It really helped calm alot of my fears. Fortuantely I just had a defibrillator put in on July 1. So I feel a little safer in case of a v-tach.

Currently on coumadin and will probably be cardio verted next week.

Hope all goes well for you. Stay out of that A-fib ok?

Comment

thanks all. Still in sinus rhythm and feeling well. I'm thinking that mty acute withdrawal from cafeeine and an occasional beer was a really good thing. No sense of hyperdynamic heart beat since doing that. For all of you who have AF, consider two things. First, fish oil. Not officially recommended yet by the Am Heart Assoc, but lots of evidence that it helps prevent serious arrhythmias. There seems to be no down side to it (3 g /d), but be careful of the brand you buy. The one at Costco is high in omega-3s and cheap. The other issue is one raised in an article and editorial in Circulation this month reporting on fairly severe ~70 HCMs (septal wall >3 cm) by ECHO. The interesting point here is that 40% of these people had remodelling (shrinkage!) of the ventricle that resulted in as much as 0.5 cm reduction in hypertrophy/year over 6 years. The question it raises is both why does HCM progress and now what causes regression? I'm sure we would all love to know the answer to that one, since a cure or treatment is dependent on knowing what causes the heart muscle to grow and now, shrink. Any ideas?
                    David in Indianapolis

Comment

why would a doctor let a patient be in Afib for 2 weeks????
                      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia, the doctor has to let the patient be on meds for a length of time before cardioversion, if I'm not mistaken. Also, some patients live in a constant state of afib, like Sarah. I don't think it's that horrible for the doctor to wait. Possibly they hope the meds make the patient convert back to sinus rhythm by themselves?

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

A patient might be left in atrial fib if there is concern over a clot in the atrium. The course then is to get several weeks of anticoagulation to hopefully dissolve the clot before catdioverting to normal sinus rhytm.
                          David in Indianapolis

Comment

Hi, When I went in the hospital for AF, i was a mess first in and out of the hospital like 2 a day for 2 days with a AF, then after the drugs didn't convert me and my pain was the worst thing ever, they finally keep me in the hospital... IT TOOK ME 10 DAYS TO CONVERT and the told me that I could stay in AF for the rest of my life and that ppl can life in AF forever and live a half normal life anyways. Although I know I felt like awful.
                            Jen

Comment

HEART DEVICE
                              Researchers investigating a new version of electrical defibrillation for
                              the treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF) believe that a series of lower
                              energy electrical shocks would be less painful and carry less risk of
                              complications than the short, sharp electrical shocks currently used to
                              resynchronize a patient's heart beat. AF is a condition that often leads
                              to heart failure and stroke.

To test the concept, the team designed and built a device that gets implanted
                              under the skin close to the heart. Sensors on the cardiac telemetry system
                              pick up the heart's electrical pattern and send out a continuous radio signal,
                              which is picked up by a notebook computer fitted with a receiver. This set up
                              allows an electrocardiogram to be directly recorded on to the computer without
                              external sensors and wiring.

In return, the computer can send a signal back to the device telling it to
                              deliver a short burst of electrical pulses directly to the heart. The sensors
                              measure the effect on the heartbeat and send the data back to the computer.

Read the complete story at: http://link.abpi.net/l.php?20040816A6
                              http://uk.geocities.com/deboraginastewart1
                              http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...art1/my_photos
                              View my heart history too.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X