If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just listening to radio station - death of young athlete

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just listening to radio station - death of young athlete

I was just listening to a Boston radio station and the father of a young boy (age 17) had dropped dead after a workout. They discovered he died from obstructive HCM. He said that his son had a physical just before and the doctor said he was in good shape. Man, I still don't understand how a doctor can MISS this!!
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: just listening to radio station - death of young athlete

I am afraid with the begining of football season we may see more of that. Here in Columbia a 15 year old died after collapsing from "heat stroke". The Sunday paper said that he actually died from the heat but autopsy revealed an "enlarged heart" that left him less likely to fight off the heat. The article also went on to use echo and ekg interchangably and the athletic association is saying that echos are expensive and arent needed and that they have fixed that problem by expanding the questionaire that goes with the physical they get. I thought my head was going to explode as I read this . I bet the mother of the 17 yo in Boston and this 15yo would have found it a worthy expense!!!
    The article actually mentioned HCM but did not state that that was what the boy had. They did however say that he had a family history of heart problems but he had always been "healthy". RED FLAG!!!!
    Ok I will stop venting now. It just burns me up that a promising young life is gone and it sounds like it could have been prevented. Some priorities need to be rearranged. What is more important our tax dollars or our kids???!!!!!
    2.6 Septal Measurement
    ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
    "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
    ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

Re: just listening to radio station - death of young athlete

Cynthia,
      If im not mistaking, I think you are talking about the young man from NY. The Red Sox actually honored his family before the game on Tuesday. His younger brother and sister actullay got to throw out the first pitch. Also when this young man took a tour of Fenway last year he grabbed a pocket full of dirt from the warning track and told his family he will bring it back when he plays there. His brother and sister took the dirt he collected and sprinkled it around the shortstop area and the pitchers mound, the place their brother wanted to play.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X