If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some good news!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

AngelAlie27 Find out more about AngelAlie27
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good news!

I wanted to let everyone know that I have exceeded my goal for my Senior Project. My goal was to inform people of the risk of sudden death in student athletes and to raise enough money to place at least one Automated External Defibrillator in every high school in the county in which I live. I raised a little over $13,000.00 and with the help of Moms Team Media (Brooke deLench) and Teams of Angels, I got a outstanding price on the AED's. An order was placed last week for 10 AED's. This will place one unit in 6 high schools with the additional ones being placed in my high school. That way there will be one AED for every sport at my school. Before I graduate in May of 2005 I may have enough to get the middle schools equipped with AED's. With everyone's help the message will get out to the public!

Cynthia

Philippians 4:13
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Re: Some good news!

Cynthia , you are a true inspiration and a breath of fresh air. Keep up the good work and may many jump in line behind you to reach out and help as well. Blessing to you. Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Cynthia -

You are AWESOME!!! I hope that many, many others are inspired by you and follow in your footsteps. Congratulations on a job well-done.

SheliRenee
      Mom of Keanu
      4 years old (will be in March)
      Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
      Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
      Dx at 5 months with V-tach
      Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats on such a great job.

You should post this is the kids section --let them know they can do this too, if they are interested.

Take care,

S

Comment

Cynthia

You might have just saved a life, that is such a great job...pat yourself on the back girl for a job well done

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynthia,
            that is wonderful!! What a fantastic thing you are doing....you are an inspiration!
            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Congratulations! I am very proud of you!

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cynthia,
                In your posting you quoted your bible. In response, I’d like to paraphrase mine –

“If you save one life it is as if you have saved the entire world.”

I guess that says it all. Love you,
                Burt

Comment

Hi Cynthia,
                  You are doing a great job! I hope other kids in high schools all over this wonderful country will follow your lead! I continue my quest for grant monies to help you with the remaining units you are in search of prior to the end of your senior year.

I too live by the quote you made (Phil. 4:13) and honor everyone in my circle, INCLUDING you and all the wonderful people I have met & work with through the HCMA!

The Anthony Bates Foundation would like to donate an Defib-Tech AED & case for your schools. I will put it in the mail to you this week. Do you have the same address?

Best Wishes for a rewarding senior year!
                  You Go Girl!
                  Sharon

Comment

Cynthia, that's pretty incredible, great job.
                    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                    Good luck and stay well.
                    Glen

Comment

Cynthia, You are truly an inspiration! Linda

Comment

YOU are AMAZING
                        Jen

Comment

That is awesome. I wish more young adults had the same desire to do such a brave thing. Congrats!!!

Comment

Hey Cynthia,
                            Let me lay this on you, and see how it fits.

You are one of this generation’s leaders – Get the best darn education you can.

One thing I did when I had just gotten out of the army might stand you in good stead also. I went and took a five hour aptitude test to find out where my natural abilities lay. It helped a great deal in finding the profession I would do best in, and the one I would enjoy the most. Enjoyment of your life’s work is very important. It colors everything.

Go get ‘em kiddo. I love you – but more importantly, G-d loves you. Just look at that wonderful brain he gave you.
                            Burt

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for the encouragement. I have heard from the AED's and they will be arriving sometime next week--in time for the first football games. School began a week ago and it's going to be a great year. I'm taking all AP or Honors courses so I should be plenty busy studying. Colleges are beginning to contact me and I'm looking into a few on my own. Burt, right now my career plans include pre-med with medical school in the future. That is a LOOOOONG road so I'll just have to see where it leads.

Cynthia

Comment

Working...
                              X