If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSG "trigger" afib??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSG "trigger" afib??

can MSG (for example in Chinese food) "trigger" afib?? Got an episode last night and still have this morning. Also, why can you feel your heart when sleeping on your left side or sometimes your stomach?? Found the following, interesting:

MSG and Atrial Fibrillation

Taurine is the body's heartbeat regulator. Deficiency states can be induced by MSG because glutamate competes in the body with another amino acid - cysteine. The body uses cysteine to make taurine. A major complaint of MSG symptom complex sufferers is irregular, fast heartbeats, - atrial fibrillation. The same symptom also occurs from taurine deficiency.

Some research has identified a Familial A-Fib where A-Fib is passed on genetically28 but it is relatively rare. Some cases have been reported where antihistamines, bronchial inhalants, local anesthetics, tobacco use, MSG, caffeine (in coffee, tea, sodas, etc.), cold beverages, and even sleeping on one's stomach or left side are said to have triggered A-Fib.

See the following link for an excellent summary of data about the amino acid taurine:
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: MSG "trigger" afib??

Hi Cynthia,
    My wife has avoided Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) for years, as it is also a strong trigger for epileptic seizures. Supposedly it is just a flavor enhancer, but it is an insidious concoction. It was used by the shovel-full, in Chinese cooking in particular, but now most Chinese restaurants have signs posted, ‘NO MSG.’ It is still hard to avoid though.

When we go to a buffet my wife always asks the chef if they use MSG. The answer is almost always, “We do not use it ourselves, but it might be in the sauces we use.” Now what do you do? Scraping off the sauce doesn’t work because the MSG has then penetrated everything. So she is then limited to foods that do not have any sauce on it.

Chinese Restaurants have successfully eliminated it and their food still tastes good. Why the heck can’t the manufacturers leave it out of their sauces?

It reminds me of the time, years ago, when we went with about eight couples to a Chinese Restaurant who still used MSG, but would leave it out of the food if you asked. My wife ordered a meal and specified no MSG, but the cook threw it in anyway. Shirley took one bite and immediately had a seizure. I called over the manager and complained. He went into the kitchen and returned in a minute saying the chef said he did not put in any MSG. (Like what else was he going to say? I poisoned your wife – sor-ry.) The manager then proceeded to argue with my wife, telling her she wasn’t having a seizure – while she was still in the grip of the seizure. It was a one sided argument.

A little later he came back and told me he wasn’t going to charge for my wife’s meal, out of which only one bite was taken. I said, “If you don’t charge me for her food, I won’t sue you for poisoning her.” That ended that, - but we never went back
    Burt

Comment

I have avoided MSG for years - but from time to time it is added into items and within a few minutes I can tell - both from my heart racing and I will have a seizure from time to time.

I do not mention it often but post stroke I do have seizures - I am on dilantin and have been for the past 13 years or so. I still have no idea why MSG has this effect on me - so if in doubt AVOID It!

Take care!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

thanks for the advice, Lisa. Take care

P.S. my heart went back into normal sinus rhythm around 9:30 this a.m.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I don't know how dangerous MSG is to people prone to afib, but it's in so many things. Every can of Campbell's soup has it, as does a lot of other items. My sister in law has a severe allergy to wheat and has to avoid all wheat byproducts. Even wheat oil in shampoo makes her sick. So I read lots of labels and have found that you'd really be surprised how much msg you consume in an average day.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

thanks, Reenie! I never knew that! I'll keep an eye out on what I buy

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hmmm, you've given me a lot to think about. I had been thinking this morning that I seem to have more arrhythmias in Beijing than here. I was crediting it to my busy lifestyle there with a lack of elevators and a car, but maybe there is another explanation. I don't know how I would avoid MSG there, but it might be worth trying to reduce them anyway.
              Thanks! Rhoda

Comment

I was told many years ago to avoid MSG. I'm so glad there are Chinese restaurants that do not use it any more. I just love Chineses food
                Has anyone ever been told that licorice is not good for your heart?
                Esther

Comment

Esther,
                  Odd you should ask about licorice... I have noticed my heart pounding especially hard after eating it, red, not black. Interesting question, and I'm interested, too.

Also, just had Chinese today for lunch, and didn't feel good for much of the afternoon. Maybe I'll have to watch MSG, too.

Debbie

Comment

Hi Debbie
                    I only eat black. Who knows?? Maybe it's any kind of licorice. I remember when I was a child. My family would visit my grandparents occassionally and my grandmother would always give us kids a rainbow tablet of paper, pencil and black licorice. My mother had heart problems, someone told her she shouldn't eat licorice because it was not good for her heart. That was wayyyyyyyyy back when. I just thought of it as I was craving black licorice. Maybe I am going back to my childhood...lol
                    Here's another mystery.
                    Esther

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X