If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nerve conduction studies cancelled.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerve conduction studies cancelled.

Well , I should be surprised but I am not ,maybe these things are too common among us. Well anyway I was already scrubbed clean devoid of creams lotion etc. ,standing in almost nothing besides a johnny ready to have a pre EKG, when the neurologist tells me she is sorry but they are not going to do the EMG there and it will have to be done where my EP works . She said usually there is no problem turning off and on the devises for testing but after talking to the nurse at the aarythmia clinic where I go she said " there is just too much to your whole situation and I am not going to do it, sorry for the inconvenience and of course there will be no charge." I left there shaking my head and wondering how they can pass themselves off as anything more then a baboon clinic. Actually I think a Baboon would be more competent!! Do you believe this same hospital is opening a state of the art heart cath lab very soon. I have already heard nurses state ," well we are only going to be doing them on patients that do not need intervention because we have to ship them elsewhere if they do." Have you ever heard something so rediculous? Well just had to share the newest blunder.
    Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Nerve conduction studies cancelled.

Pam-y dahling,
    You’re looking at this all wrong. You should be singing and dancing over the fact that you got out of there without them touching you. (I hope they combed their faces before moving on to the next person.) It’s a good thing they didn’t charge you any bananas.

Remember this place, and never ever go near it again – especially if you need a cath. The normal practice is to do an angiogram, and if anything untoward is discovered, an angioplasty follows immediately. I’ve never heard of being sent somewhere else to finish the jib. Well, these procedures started in 1980 and in 1985 when I had my first heart cath, the angiogram and angioplasty were sometimes done separately, but always in the same cath lab.

So my lucky little sweetheart, move on to better care.
    Burt

Comment

Burt you are so right , if I could run I would have . My family said about the same and reminded me that I have often referred to it as a 1st aid bandaid station. So there you have it . They actually promote themselves as 1 of the top 100 hospitals in the country!!! Thing is they don't explain to the common person that that little token in particular to them means in $ and cents. The administrator has run it in the black for many years and gives all the monkeys a bonus every year from the profits if they stay and so they can still say they are non-profit. How mis-leading to the un-informed. Well have a nice night and Burt ,enjoy your birthday with as much zeal as you can muster up . Pam
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

That is exactly why ablations scare the cr*p out of me! Because administrators and doctors go "oh, look, we have a cath lab --so we can do ablations!!!" Not understanding that just because you aren't cracking a chest open doesn't mean it is a simple procedure!

Oh, gives me the shakes, it does.

S

Comment

Pam - I sympathize with your situation, but at least they know their limitations. I had surgery for skin cancer a few weeks ago, and the ICD blew the surgeon's mind. I had to have what was a routine thing normally done in a clinic in an operating room, and had to confer with a cardio at their hospital so that that cardio could call mine on the phone (the surgeon couldn't call him directly....apparently only cardios can speak to cardios! They they placed a magnet over my ICD and turned it off for the procedure. Anyway, it took alot for them to feel ok with it, and apparently yours weren't comfortable with turning it off. Well, next time better luck.
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Yeah , Isn't it something ? I had the face cancer removed back a month or 2 ago and the so called surgeon said the tool he was using on me as my defibrilator began to charge up was a hyphecator and it would not cause a problem. He tried to tell ME that I was feeling anxiety and it was safe. I learned after the fact that my AICD was preparing for a zap as it was getting a signal. I had Guidant send them an informative letter of safety do's and dont's . Funny thing is I could not find this so called surgeon listed as a practicing Md in Massachusetts. Neither could I find the dermatologist that originally saw me . I could only find the Dermotologist who owns the practice and has her name on the sign but who no one ever sees. My foot doctor and I got into a discussion the other day and he told me,"no one ever sees her she is a gazillionaire, She does NOT have ANY dermatologists there just a couple of regular doctors who see patients and a PA who does the surgical procedures under her name and license. "When I mentioned the hyphercator incident he shouted out " OH MY GOD." The nurse came running in as she thought something was terribly wrong in the room.

So fellow HCMer's and caring friends and family of devise people be carefull and forwarned.

Have a great safe day. Pam

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X