If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a young boy dies

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a young boy dies

In New Hampshire today a 13 year old while on a hiking trip with fellow campers and counselor from Camp Hale died from a fatal arrythmia after being startled by a bear.The report stated he had been healthy and had no apparrent or reported illnesses.

What a tragic , horrible thing to happen . More and more instead of less and less we hear of these sad endings. My heart goes out to the friends and family.
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: a young boy dies

This sounds like Long QT syndrome how very sad.

God Bless this young man.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

What is long QT syndrome?

Thanks for the knowledge!
      \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

My understanding: Long QT syndrome is another inherited syndrome in which the length of time for the heart to repolarize (return to a resting state that prepares it for the next contraction)after a contraction is longer than normal. People with this defect are prone to sudden death in response to emotional or physical stress.

Long QT can also be caused by some medications as well as being a genetic illness. Some people with HCM develop a long QT interval just as we develop other arrhythmias. When I had my EKG done in China, they saw this and concluded that that was my problem.

Hope this answers your question. I also hope that this young boy's family finds out whether they share this defect and more importantly that the receive supernatural comfort at this terrible time in their lives.
        Rhoda

Comment

Thank you for the info!
          \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

What if you just have ventricular tachycardia? Is it possible to be startled enough to be fatal? Does it have something to do with adreniline?

SheliRenee
            Mom of Keanu
            4 years old (will be in March)
            Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
            Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
            Dx at 5 months with V-tach
            Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X