If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

we need a commercial

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we need a commercial

I saw a commercial for the Heart and Stroke Foundation and was thinking how great it would be to have a commercial to spread the word about HCM and of this wonderful organization. I am sure it is costly, but its just an idea. What do you all think.

Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Re: we need a commercial

I have a quote to produce just such a commercial. We need to raise about 20K to "do it right"...unless one of you can suggest a connection that we may be ale to use to get it done cheaper...I am all ears!

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I think your idea is great. Maybe one of the drug companies would like to sponsor the commercial...

Tigger1
      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Hi
        I think contacting drug companies is the key! With all of us on various meds, and they are very expensive, what a better way to start. All they can say is they are not interested. Now, does anyone know how to start this process? Who to contact? I would be willing to work on it if I had the names, etc...of the appropriate people.
        Lisa, do you think you could get that info? Would anyone else like to help? How do you legally do that? Hmmmm, a lot of questions.
        Esther

Comment

It comes down to either a donation or an unrestricted grant - both are possible.

More community efforts of fundraising will assist us in this and other efforts to raise awareness!

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Currently not obstructed

Comment

If it takes 20k for the commercial...how much would air time cost. Do non-profits get a price break...

Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

The cost is in the production of the piece - the air time should be free.

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Larry King is big into heart funding and assisting with these things isn't he maybe someone like him would be worth contacting ??
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Lisa,
                  I asked you at the HCMA meeting of some grant ideas for our organizations to parter in a grant writing campaign....I think you might be on to something with this great idea. There are a great number of "philanthropic" family foundations that I believe would be willing to help fund your commercial.

Would you like me to get started on some proposal info? You are going to have to help me with some of the proposal details. Until we get it on paper, it is just an idea. Let's all work on this one, pray for the right contacts and we will see the needed donation!

Keep up the good work everyone! We are not in this alone.
                  Best Regards,
                  Sharon

Comment

GREAT IDEA!!!

Have dabbled slightly in this field ... and have some people that I can ask some questions - as far as producing a great commercial and air time ... although air time can be quite costly, I believe there are a lot of exciting options out there ...

For air time on radio and television there are local and national spots ...

The drug companies would definitely be a BIG one to hit ... not only ones that have drugs out for HCM now, but any that have any in research (because they are going to have a lot of advertising money available), but any drug company or vitamin company (like my husband was told to take fish oil) ...

Then there are also state and federal grants ... there is so much federal money available for all sorts of things, big dollars ...

Also, don't forget about partnershps - like with the American Heart Society or Cardiologists or any remote individual ...

I will help however I can ... I love doing research, and I can sometimes do ok with cold calling individuals ...

Also, almost every company now also has programs with donations to the community, and it is a really big tax write off for them ... everyone from Target to Coca~Cola, to your local paving company ...

Let me know! Count us in! Let's get this ship a salin'!
                    \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

How about the devise makers; Guidant and Medtronic?
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I can see a lot of reasons why a corporate-sponsored commercial wouldn't fly...

1. I don't think you can get free air time if a corporation had its name on the ad as it could be considered actually commercial instead of a public service announcement.

2. It can make the message suspect because it is sponsored by a company that profits through treatment of the disease.

I know Lisa works long, hard, exhausting hours squeezing money out of rocks. She was going to appear on a big morning talk show on 9/11. But the world turned upside down that day.

S

Comment

If we get to the point that we are actually in the studio, could we make a few commercials for both radio and television? Doing them in one batch would be a cost saving, and give us the option of alternating spots for more coverage.

I can see a partnership deal to make a commercial for HCMA and maybe Medtronic, with them picking up the tab, and probably using a professional ad company to make it. If not them, some other implant company – and then the drug companies.
                          Just a thought.
                          Burt

Comment

Hi
                            I've joined an ICD support group. They are having a three day conference in Memphis from July 25-28, 2005. Medtronic has agreed to sponsor the conference. It wouldn't hurt to contact Medtronic, afterall, how many people among us have a Medtronic ICD? This could be one option?
                            Esther

Comment

Great idea to do both radio and television commercials while in the studio working with the production team - definite cost savings, and very exciting to get everything done!

I am interested in hearing more about how PSAs can get free air time, and whether it is national or local ...

I think a lot of the discussion has raised some wonderful questions of ...

1. do we want national or local airtime? or both?

2. what is the cost difference between doing a PSA with and without sponsorships?

3. what type of airtime difference would there be with and without sponsorships? costs? amount of airtime? quality of airtime?

4. what is the purpose of getting the commercials made and getting them played? Is it for awareness? Is it for people to seek particular medical care if they'll already been diagnosed?

5. with identifying our target audience, how do we best reach them?

6. if we do decide it is ok to have sponsors (also possibly multiple sponsorships), to what affect is it ok to have their products identified in the commercial ... my own comment here - I would just like to see tag lines and have the focus of the commercial be HCM awareness ...

Leilani is waking up and calling ... how I love my morning hugs in the rocking chair with the morning sun shining in!

Have a great day!
                              \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X