If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to read EKG and Echo results

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Paul S Find out more about Paul S
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to read EKG and Echo results

I am always dragging my test results around from lab to doctor, reading them on the Elevator without knowing what they mean, and I would like to become educated and aware of what they all mean.

Everytime I go for an EKG I have to have a chat with the attendant and tell them not to panic. Twice I have had them run to call 911 on me, yet I feel fine, and on my way to the doctor once I get this test done.

I know the reading from the lead on the left side, drops right off the bottom of the page. They ask me if I am in pain, they ask themselves if the machine is working right, they run for 911 as I mentioned before.

As for the Echo, staring at the monitor for 30 mintues as they run the test. I would like to know all those numbers, and what to look for. Even if I knew just 2 things to watch for on the screen, so I can compared each visit.

<- How I feel when I go for my test
    <- The face of the technician when they hook me up

Re: How to read EKG and Echo results

Learning EKGs and ECHOs are a science and to properly learn them takes a bit of time. Just to be a sonographer you have to go to school for two years. EKG classes are about a month.

Just a little bit on the EKG though your heart beat starts with a little bump called a P wave. The Large peak is called the QRS complex. Then the little bump after that is the T wave. If your T wave is inverted it typically means that there is some form of ischemia going on. If you don't have a P wave (correct me here) means that Sino Atrial node is not working properly and may be the beginning of heart block. Also, many HCMers have A high QRS voltage. I guess that may be due to the stiffining of the heart or the cellular disarrayment.

When you start getting into the different leads though that is where it gets a bit confusing!

I hope I'm right about this! Correct me if I'm wrong!

Mary S.

Comment

I have no idea how to read either, but I did find a great website that explained in detail how to read an EKG. I can't remember the website though...alot of use aren't I??? Just thought I would let you know that you could probably find info on the net.

I am lucky I haven't had too many strange reactions to my EKG. Are all ABNORMAL EKG's(in HCMer's) basically the same or similar in there abnormalities?? Anyone know?

Thanks
      Pam
      It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

I would not recommend any patient, without training, read there own ECG. To know the key numbers in you echo and monitor them for change is much easier and has greater value to your treatment.

Echo hints:
        Do not try to read it as the echo tech is doing it.
        Read the report over with your doctor and go over key numbers.
        *IVS-Intraventricular septal - should be under 1.2 in a 'normal' person
        *LVW- Left ventricular free wall - should be under 1.2 in a normal person
        *AV-Atrial measurment - should be around 4.0 (I am shooting this one from memory and I will have to check this one).
        *MV-mitral valve - you will be give information about the size and function of your MV.
        *gradient- a measurement of pressure in the heart- this will ONLY be on those echos when the person has "obstruction".

These are the 'basics" - know your numbers and follow them each year.

have a nice day
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

If you search this web site, there are several "how to read an ecg/echo report" posts that have lots of details. one of them is by me and one by lisa. We should put them in the FAQ, actually.

Mary is right (duh--she's in school for that stuff) about the waves.

Inverted t waves and depressed s waves are common in HCM and part of what makes med techs freak out.

S

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and info.

I will be taking a note pad and pen to my next appointment

In the mean time, a searching I will go.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X