If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passing HCM on to kids

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

gayle Find out more about gayle
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SheliRenee
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    Thank you both Reenie and Linda - I appreciate the input from you both.

    SheliRenee

    Leave a comment:


  • Linda
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    And that means it affects males and females equally. It doesn't choose favorites like some conditions. Linda

    Leave a comment:


  • Reenie
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    An autosome is a chromosome that isn't a sex chromosone. That means all chromosomes except the X and Y chromosome.

    Reenie

    Leave a comment:


  • SheliRenee
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    Originally posted by Pam Alexson
    But it is an autosomal dominant trait ,right?
    What does autosomal mean?

    SheliRenee

    Leave a comment:


  • Reenie
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    Yes, the mutation for HCM is a dominant trait. The images I posted aren't mine, I borrowed them from the web. They still show how genes are inherited, regardless of whether you're looking at the dominance or the recessiveness of the trait. I didn't think about the recessive wording on top of the one image, but the distribution of the traits is the same either way.

    Reenie

    Leave a comment:


  • ginnilea
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    HOCM is a dominant gene so if you carry the gene, you will have it. If you don't have the gene, you won't.

    I hope I am making my genetic instructor proud...
    ginny

    Leave a comment:


  • Pam Alexson
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    But it is an autosomal dominant trait ,right?

    Leave a comment:


  • Reenie
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    I found a few charts that might help explain this better.





    Leave a comment:


  • Reenie
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    Note: If both parents have HCM then all their children would get HCM, so if you’re single, don’t come to the annual meeting looking for a date.
    This isn't exactly correct. There would be a 25% chance that the child has no HCM at all. There is a 50% chance that the child has HCM. There is a 25% chance that the child would get a double dose of HCM from both parents. I can't put in a chart here, but try to follow along.

    A=HCM
    B=no HCM

    Both parents are AB.

    One child is AA.
    Two children are AB.
    One child is BB.

    A B
    A AA AB
    B BA BB

    Gosh, this isn't showing up like I'd hoped, but I hope you can get the picture.

    Reenie

    Leave a comment:


  • Pam Alexson
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    April, At the bottom of the page;973-983-7429. It takes awile to see it all. Good Luck

    Leave a comment:


  • atydev
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    Originally posted by Lisa Salberg
    April -
    Call me today lets go over all of this. YOu have been given some misinformation and we need to make sure you have a clear understanding from this point forward.

    Lisa
    I have looked for a number to call and I guess I just have not learned my way around the site well enough. Please give me a number to call.Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • felixdacat
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    As a layman, I want this to be clear to all of the other layman on this board.
    HCM is a genetic condition. Each of us has a mutation within our DNA.
    At this point of time they have found about 80% of the mutations that cause HCM, which is why the genetic tests that they offer are only 80% effective.
    HCM does not skip a generation. That would be impossible. When Lisa uses the term ‘lay quiet’ she means that it doesn’t express itself. I just spoke to a person with HCM whose sister has HCM as well, but neither parent has had HCM related symptoms. However, one of them MUST have it. Even though the parents have not expressed symptoms, this doesn’t mean they won’t. They just need to be checked by a qualified cardiologist from time to time.
    We each have 46 chromosomes. When we procreate, the mother gives the child 23 chromosomes and the father gives 23. Should the parent with HCM pass on the mutation in their 23 chromosomes to the child, then the child will have HCM. Thus the reason why 50% of children who have one parent with HCM will get the condition.
    Note: If both parents have HCM then all their children would get HCM, so if you’re single, don’t come to the annual meeting looking for a date.
    Now the child with HCM has a 50% chance of passing HCM to their children. The child who did not get the mutation, has 0% chance of passing the mutation to their children. They have no mutation to pass. Future generations from the child without the mutation do not have to be concerned about getting HCM. This is not like blue eyes, where there is a 50% chance the first generation, 25% chance the next generation, 12.5% chance next, etc (assuming that the spouse had no incidence of blue eyes in their family each generation).
    What gums up all the stats is the Sporadic Mutant (that’s me). These are people who while getting conceived there is a genetic typo in writing their DNA. The mutation that causes HCM is written at that moment, making them the first in their family line to get HCM. But even though they are first, they still have the mutation and have a 50% chance of passing it on.
    The concept of ‘skipping’ a generation is a result of old, incorrect assumptions of the disease. Science knew about what is now termed HCM, back in the 19th century. But the current level of expertise with HCM has only been around a decade or two. And that level of expertise is shared by very few physicians. Which is why this website exists.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    April -
    Call me today lets go over all of this. YOu have been given some misinformation and we need to make sure you have a clear understanding from this point forward.

    Lisa

    Leave a comment:


  • atydev
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    When I found out all my heart issues where inherited I had my children checked. My 9 yr old is clear so far. My 13 yr old was found to have a mild mitral valve regurg. but no sign of HOCM. No one that we know of had this condition. I do know my grandmother and one of her son's my uncle died suddenly of a heart attack. This may have been HOCM I suppose. Other than that I am the only one that we know for sure has this problem. My mother says she thought she remembered someone at the hospital telling her that the HOCM was due to the over worked mitral valve because it had a severe leak. This could not be so if HOCM is a disease made up in the cell structure of the heart at birth right?

    Leave a comment:


  • Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Re: Passing HCM on to kids

    With our current understanding of the disease it would be well advised to have your sibilings re-screened every 4-5 years and the kids screened as they enter puberty. Re screening every 1-2 years for the kids would be well advised.
    HCM does not "SKIP" but the gene may lay 'quite' until late in life.

    Best wishes!
    Lisa

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X