If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Continuing Saga of Mary

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Burton Borrok Find out more about Burton Borrok
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Continuing Saga of Mary

Poor Mary, Sending her lots of prayers , strength and hope that there will soon be an end to the bad health she has had. You are in my thoughts Mary.
    Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Mary-

My thoughts and prayers are with you - thought about you all during the "storm" and hoped you made it through that okay. So sorry to herar your back in for stay #12. Hope all goes well and that you're back posting soon.

Ange

Comment

My dear Mary

You have just been too sick this year, you really need a good intestinal man to get this under control, the stress alone has to be bad on your heart let alone your intestines please take care

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Mary,

I hope you feel much better soon! I wondered if everything was ok since I hadn't seen any posts from you recently. Take care of yourself.

Rene'

Comment

Hi all,
            Let me give you a small update – of sorts. Yesterday, Wednesday, I left a meeting at a local hospital to call Mary. I don’t know if it was the hospital equipment interfering or what, but I got a very bad connection and could only catch an occasional word or so. It did sound to me like Mary had her cell phone shut off and I was getting her cell message center, and I decided not to leave a message as I didn’t know if she would be able to understand me.

Today was a different story. I was watching TV, waiting until six o’clock my time to call her and I totally passed out. It was around eight when I woke up – eleven o’clock her time, so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sorry I could pass on no further information.
            Burt

Comment

Burt,
              what do you mean, "passed out"?? did you just fall asleep I hope??
              \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Yes Cynthia,
                I forgot my audience – I fell asleep, I did not pass out, (no syncope) – sorry.

Anyway, I talked to Mary this afternoon. She called me because she was very upset. While she was out having some testing done, she got a phone message.

I don’t know if you all are aware, but she was in the first semester of a nursing program, using a scholarship. When she was hospitalized last time, she spoke to her professor and was assured that as long as she was able to make up any missed material and keep up with the class, she could stay in the program.

Today the professor called and left a message that she was dropped from this semester’s courses. Not only does she lose the time for the semester, she does not know if the scholarship fund will now pay for this semester, or if she will have to pay for it herself. (Remember she only gets paid for hours worked – part time, - when she’s not hospitalized.)

She is still in the hospital and they are still trying to figure out her diagnosis, so of course, she has no idea when they will release her. I tried calling her again tonight, but again could not get through. I will try during the day tomorrow.

This kid just can’t catch a break. Hurricane Ivan is now supposed to reach Florida Sunday evening. I’d be willing to bet they release her very late Sunday afternoon or at the crack of dawn on Monday. I’ll try to keep you posted, but I won’t be home from Sunday through Wednesday afternoon – and then comes the Jewish holidays.
                Happy New Year everyone,
                Burt

Comment

Burt,
                  Thanks for keeping us informed. I am sorry to read of yet another huge setback for Mary. I hope the school is able to give her a medical LOA.
                  My daughter had a very bad year last year with me and personally. Her school of nursing told her similar but did defer her loans ,preserve her scholarships and gave the LOA so she could restart this fall.
                  I hope Mary's school does the same for her.
                  She is in my thoughts and prayers.
                  Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Well Folks,
                    Another shoe has fallen from the centipede that is Mary’s hospital visits. I got a call from her this evening, and she is back home again, feeling and sounding much better. She’s on Oxygen at night to give her hard working heart some relief, and she has a pain patch to help with that problem.

Of course the discharging nurse and/or the doctor messed up her prescriptions, but she is seeing her PCP tomorrow and will get that straightened out. She wants to coast for the next few days and take life easy before again addressing all the things that have to be done.

So, for all of you out there who care about our little Miss Mary, know that she will probably be posting herself in the next few days, and I think she just might be on the recovery trail, at last. Whenever I start to pity myself I think of what Mary has gone through – and I feel like a wimp. I think of Mary a lot. Am I getting a complex do you think?

Anyway, I saw my local cardiologist today. We succeeded in getting most of the water out of my legs, only to have it move to my chest and lungs. I’m now on 120 mg of Lasix, 50 mg of Aldactone, and now 5 mg of Metolazone also. That’s the stuff that put me in the hospital in a week the last time I was on it – but this time I have also increased my Potassium from 20 to 30 mg / day.

More about Mary as I know more – or she starts posting herself.
                    Burt

Comment

Working...
                    X