If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Continuing Saga of Mary

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Burton Borrok Find out more about Burton Borrok
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Continuing Saga of Mary

Thank you Linda! I've been very worried. I spoke with Mary the night the storm was to hit, and the wind was kicking up something fierce, but then i haven't been able to get in touch with her since. Your update is greatly appreciated.
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Let me thank you too Linda,
      I spoke with Mary after she got home from the hospital and before the storm hit. She was putting dishes in the dishwasher in preparation for the storm.

She did say that during the discharge processing she passed out again, but they went ahead and discharged her anyway. I guess they wanted her out before the storm hit. I told her it was time to move to Boston where she could get proper care.

If she doesn’t pass out again, I’m sure she will be EMTing it all over town. She sure knows how to make her poor old grandpa worry. Ah, for the good old days of indestructible youth.
      Burt

Comment

Well,

Electricity was just restored to the house!!!!! My friends and I were all very fortunate in this event.

Yesterday, I went out and relieved some of my fellow EMTs in Polk County. It was a tough day we lost three stations. Two will not be rebuilt due to lack of funds. I ran some calls that broke my heart. Like people who did not know that the generators release carbon monoxide and two of the three died. I saw homes, dreams, and lives destroyed.

It seems like life isn't all that bad when you look at the big picture.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary, we only see the storm results on TV here, it looked bad, but I am sure we cannot fathom how bad unless we were actually there to see it every minute.
          I know there were many Canadians caught in the storm as they have retirement homes there.
          It's sad to see some people dying needlessly after they managed to survive the storm.
          People have a way of pulling together after an event like this and I am sure it will be a long haul and know you and the others are in our thoughts and prayers.
          Good Luck & Stay Well!
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

Well everyone...

Mary went back into the hospital last night with chest pain and a few other problems as well, including some dehydration issues. Her electrolytes are way off and they are running more tests today. She expects to be in for at least one more night. When i spoke with her on the phone today, i was surprised to hear that they are not putting any fluids into her through IV, but she said that they are trying to get the chest pain taken care of first. I would think that being dehydrated could be partially responsible for that, but who knows what goes on in the minds of those doctors she's seeing.

She has her cellphone on hand and is taking calls if anyone wants to chat with her. (407) 361-5723.

Jim

Comment

We can't keep that girl home for anything!

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Can we all chip in and buy Mary about ten cases of SmartWater (that bottled water with electrolytes in it but no sugar)?

Can't bear to think of her continuing on in this way!

Mary---come home soon and stop not drinking water!! We love you!!!

Sarah

Comment

Sarah... i couldn't agree with you more!

Unfortunately, because of her frequent stomach problems, it's often times hard for Mary to keep even plain water down, as was the case last night when we all talked to her. The girl needs a permanent IV placed in her to make sure she's getting her fluids! Other than that, i don't think anyone really knows what to do with her.

We'll just keep hoping and praying for her i guess,

Jim

Comment

I think Mary needs a private duty nurse 24-7 and a dip stick with a meter gauge to measure her hydration. Wish there was such a devise for poor Mary. It must be very , very hard to keep repeating this scenario of bad events. . MARY GET WELL SOON and feel better , I am thinking about you and sending positive thoughts.
                    Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Mary,
                      Get well soon!!
                      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Pam Alexson
                        It must be very , very hard to keep repeating this scenario of bad events...
                        Pam... i couldn't agree with you more. Mary's trips to the hospital have become so routine for us now, that in many ways i'm afraid it's become simply a matter of 'Oh well, Mary is back in the hospital again.' But ya know, each and every time the poor girl gets admitted to the hospital... is just one more event to wear her down more and more, and she just has to be wondering when this is all going to end. It doesn't get any easier with each trip to the hospital... it just keeps getting harder and more depressing, and i pray to God that Dr. Maron has some real answers for her when she sees him in September.

We all love ya Mary, and hope you get better real soon!

Jim

Comment

Mary , I echo jim's sentment , hang in there girl all your HCM family is hoping that something will work for you.
                          Chin up, Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I’m sorry guys,
                            I spoke to Mary yesterday, and just too many things got in the way, and I didn’t get a chance to post anything until just now.

This is her eleventh trip to the hospital this year so far, and at least two of the visits lasted for three weeks. With this trip she had been throwing up into her fourth day, and is getting her sustenance through the IV. Actually, I spoke to her right after she ate a small cup of ice cream, and it looked like she was going to be able to hold it down. She is starting to become interested in food again, and is re-trying a liquid diet. Before this she couldn’t even hold down jello.

Her cell phone is free only on the week-ends, so she asked if anyone who calls her would please use the hospital phone. The number is 407-351-8500 ex 3 room 510. (They may take the extension as 3510 – but I haven’t called her yet, so I don’t know. I’m sure you will be able to get through one way or another.

It’s nine o’clock her time now, so I’ll probably try to call after I finish at the Books for the Blind work I do tomorrow morning. I will post again if I get any more news.
                            Burt

Comment

Mary,
                              We are all supporting and praying for you!
                              Rhoda

Comment

Well, it’s now officially Wednesday, but I spoke with Mary Tuesday – and yes, she’s back in the hospital again. Visit number twelve this year so far.

She was throwing-up all day Monday, and her stomach is still out of whack, and she is yet once again in congestive heart failure. I have an exceptionally busy day scheduled for tomorrow, but I will try to call her – and if I’m successful, I will post about it.

This time she is in the hospital near her friends house (where she stayed during the storm) and does not yet know the phone number in her room. Her cell phone is working for those who wish to call, 407-361-5723 – and she asks if you would please call after nine o’clock eastern time, as that is when her cell phone goes onto free time.
                                Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X